The UN Refugee Agency
Associate IT Systems Service Delivery Management Officer Job Vacancy at UNHCR
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
* Staff members will not normally serve in International Professional positions in the country of their nationality. In addition, in case of a first appointment upon recruitment, the assignment must be outside the staff member’s country of nationality.
In practical terms this means that you are not eligible to apply for International Professional vacancies advertised in the country where you are national of.
Regular > Regular Assignment
November 28, 2023
Associate IT Systems Service Delivery Management Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Associate IT Systems Service Delivery Management Officer supports the IT applications and solutions are available and delivered consistently, reliably, and effectively. The incumbent supports day-to-day operations and may coordinate the work of multiple support groups, both internal to UNHCR, as well as, Managed Service Providers (MSPs). The incumbent monitors various MSPs deliver efficient and effective applications and solutions in accordance to contractual obligations and best practices. Understanding the current and future needs, the incumbent will work with a Business Analyst and/or Solution Engineer to ensure that the IT requirements are understood and have adequate IT applications and solutions to meet business needs the organization and have the IT tools necessary to support their work.
The incumbent has regular contact with MSPs, with other Service Delivery Managers (SDMs), with Solution Engineers, with vendors, and all Services of DIST. S/he understands and communicates the UNHCR IT strategy and vision, policies, and decisions in a positive manner and leads by example in the adherence and adoption. S/he establishes and sustains relationships with respective business leaders & management in order to achieve technical and business strategic alignment. S/he is not expected to have supervisory responsibility for other IT staff. The specific reporting relationships may vary based on the size and structure of the team, solution offerings, products and responsibilities and will be specified in the Operational Context.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Within the Area of Responsibility:
– Support daily Business-As-Usual operational decisions, including; incident, problem, change, service request, and asset management.
– Ensure compliance with Service Management and IT security policies and standards, technical architecture, and service level agreements – reporting non-compliance as appropriate.
– Review Service Level performance targets (internal and external) and escalate discrepancies to manager.
– Serve as an escalation point for end-user and operational issues (Incidents, Service and Change Requests) not resolved within established SLA’s; coordinate with MSPs to expedite resolution including prioritization and escalation of SLA performance breaches to supervisor or responsible service tower owner.
– Work closely with UNHCR SDMs and MSPs to carry out problem management and root cause analysis and prevent recurrence of critical problems by executing approved changes.
– Review and validate that Change Management processes are adhered to by both staff and MSPs. Ensure that change, test, and release processes are properly planned and executed. Approve installation of new or upgraded systems and services. Support deployments and transition into production from projects as well as ensuring testing of new ICT solution components.
– Implement approved service delivery process improvements and support processes in accordance with ITIL best-practices.
– Maintain accurate inventory of all IT applications for corporate solutions and ensure that Configuration Management policies and guidelines are followed and the ITSM databases are up to date.
– Maintain accurate inventory of all locally developed applications and systems and report in the central registry.
– Leverage the broader IT community (UNHCR, UN agencies, partners and external providers) to deliver the most efficient and cost-effective solutions to the business. Represent UNHCR IT in inter-agency and other external meetings.
– Contribute to solutions are of high-quality from a technical perspective and that end-user support is responsive and effective.
– Monitor, analyse, and report on system and infrastructure performance and capacity in a timely manner and ensure that service owner take appropriate action.
– Track expenditures against budgets, prepare forecasts, and verify invoices from service providers and suppliers against SLA performance targets before payment is approved. Conduct/participate in periodic performance review meetings with partners.
– Provide accurate and timely information on operational status and reports to management.
– Ensure Audit recommendations and actions are completed in a timely manner.
– Assist in drafting requests for proposals and reviewing support contracts including SLAs, SOPs, and OGs.
– Participate as a competent and motivated workforce trained to understand and use the corporate solutions and implement the correct procedures and practices.
– Participate in partnerships with sister Agencies, Implementing Partners, NGOs and other operational partners in consultation with Regional Bureau/Country Representative/DIST, Headquarters for shared solutions and project experience.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Associate IT Systems Service Delivery Management Officer Job Vacancy at UNHCR
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P2/NOB – 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Information & Communications Technologies; Computer Science; Information Systems;
Information Technologies; Project Management; or other relevant field.
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Minimum 3 years’ experience in ICT of which 1 spent managing IT system service delivery with SLA based delivery of both centralized and decentralized applications and solutions. Good understanding and practical experience of ITIL Service Operations processes driven by continuous improvement. Experience working with business partners to understand how IT affects an organization and link it to business processes, requirements and operational tasks. Ability to participate in discussions with stakeholders. Good interpersonal skills that include effective communications (both verbally and written) at all levels; to technical and non-technical audiences. Experience working in a matrixed team to ensure collaborations and effective operations across multiple organisations. Experience in project monitoring and control, data analysis, and presentation for executive review and decision making. Experience of coordinating activities across different partner organizations developing effective services. Experience in Service Delivery Management of Application Services to support centralised IT Solutions. Application skills and experience required for a specific position will be included in the Operational Context of the Job Opening.
Formal certification in ITIL Service Operations. Experience providing IT services, including deep field locations. Good understanding of application and infrastructure technologies used in IT applications and solutions supported by IT staff. Experience of operating in humanitarian or United Nations organizations, with field experience. A good understanding of UN/UNHCR reforms and the priority agenda of the organization.
*IT-Service Delivery Management
IT-IT Systems and Standards
IT-Service delivery through outsourced providers
IT-IT Applications Development Lifecycle Methodology
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
To achieve the operational goals and successfully address the challenges presented by the context in Tanzania, it is recommended that the candidate possess the following IT experience:
• Advanced knowledge of the Meraki environment and network architecture and a strong understanding of corporate network monitoring systems and tools (e.g., PRTG, Meraki dashboard).
• Comprehensive understanding of corporate IT cloud solutions, including their limitations and constraints. Experience in conducting group end-user training for corporate solutions and applications as part of the DIST portfolio.
• Significant experience in the deployment and maintenance of security networks, including Analog VHF and Radio over IP technology and experience in the setup, deployment, and maintenance of a Remote Security Operational Center (RSOC), including IP2AIR and PC2AIR solutions.
• Advanced experience in Satellite technology (VSAT), including ICOM PTT Iridium (IC-SAT100) solutions.
• Prior experience in working within a multi-UN agency environment and a willingness to actively participate in multi-agency Working Groups.
• Knowledge of off-grid power solutions for field and remote location, including solar systems.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
To view the occupational safety and health considerations for Dar es Salaam, please visit this link:
Nature of Position:
In Tanzania, the Associate IT Systems Service Delivery Management Officer, P2, has to ensure Information Technology continuity in shaping and supporting how we deliver the Protection and Assistance activities to the people we serve. He/she should continue the modernization of the IT services in alignment with operation needs in the region and strive towards a more digital workspace and improved systems to enable the UNHCR operation to operate with more agility, flexibility, and security.
The incumbent of the position will have to work closely with all stakeholders to ensure that the operation has appropriate IT capacities, improve readiness for PRIMES solutions, and engage the operation in the Cybersecurity Transformation Programme (CTP), an initiative aiming to transform and enhance UNHCR’s information security capability and also protect the information of the people we serve in Tanzania.
The Associate IT Systems Service Delivery Management Officer, P2, will report to the Senior Administrative Officer and will directly supervise one IT Associate, G6, in Dar es Salaam as well as 10 GS staff from the field. He/she will support all UNHCR offices in Tanzania and act as Head of the ICT Functional Unit in the operation.
Living and Working Conditions:
Dar es Salaam is the major city of the United Republic of Tanzania where the Representation office is situated. The location of the Representation Office is in Masaki, Rufiji Street, and Off Haile Selassie Road. Most international staff members live in the seaside neighborhoods of Masaki and Oyster Bay, and to a lesser extent in Msasani and Mikocheni all of which cluster in and around a peninsula to the north of the city Centre. Masaki and Oyster Bay share the advantages of having a good concentration of internationally-oriented housing and amenities including shops, schools and medical facilities; all are comparatively secure, and of course, enjoy the benefit of being close to the sea. The cost of living is considered high.
Security Conditions: The duty station can be described as relatively safe with a stable political environment. However, caution should be exercised when walking in the dark.
Bachelor of Arts (BA): Computer Science, Bachelor of Arts (BA): Information and Communication Technology, Bachelor of Arts (BA): Information Systems, Bachelor of Arts (BA): Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts (BA): Project Management
ITIL Certification – Foundation Level – AXELOS Ltd, Project Management – Other
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Judgement & decision making, Managing resource, Organizational awareness, Teamwork & collaboration, Technological awareness
Add. 1 to Bi-annual Compendium 2023 – Part B
This position requires Functional Clearance
To apply for this job please visit unhcr.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com.