Website US Embassy South Africa
The U.S. Embassy & Consulates in South Africa
COM Chauffeur Job Vacancy at the US Embassy South Africa
- Announcement Number:
- Hiring Agency:
- Embassy Pretoria
- Position Title:
- COM Chauffeur – Employees of Mission-All/or USEFMs EFMs or MOHs
- Open Period:
- 11/18/2022 – 11/25/2022 Format MM/DD/YYYY
- Vacancy Time Zone:
- LE – 1015 4
- ZAR R235,322
- Work Schedule:
- Full-time – 45 hours
- Promotion Potential:
- Duty Location(s):
- Telework Eligible:
- For More Info:
- Hiring Path:
- • Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is FPAA. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.Current Employees of the Mission – This includes U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs); Eligible Family Members (EFMs); Declared Members of Household (MOHs), dependents of U.S. Personal Services Contract (USPSC) who are assigned under COM – All Agencies
- Security Clearance Required:
- Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type
- Appointment Type Details:
- Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement:
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (45 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (12 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position:
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
- Travel Required:
- 76% or greaterTravel is required
Under supervision of the Executive Office Management Specialist (OMS), operates a motor vehicle to transport the Chief of Mission (COM), Deputy Chief of Mission (DCM), and other VIP dignitaries throughout South Africa in a safe and secure manner.
Provides back-up to the other Executive Office Chauffeur as required.
Performs minor preventative maintenance and regular vehicular operational checks on the COM vehicles.
Serves as a special messenger delivering items for the Executive Office.
The position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Minimum three (3) years of safe driving experience as a professional chauffeur or driver, driving executive staff, VIP customers, or other dignitaries is required.
- At least one year must have been with a U.S. Government agency.
- Thorough knowledge and familiarity of South African local traffic laws and regulations, road and driving conditions, and restrictions.
- Must be familiar with city layout of Pretoria and Johannesburg (Gauteng area) and suburbs, and have thorough knowledge of South African Government and other important buildings.
- Must have extensive operating knowledge of GPS Systems.
- Education Requirements:
- Completion of Secondary School or Local Mandatory Schooling and received high school diploma
COM Chauffeur Job Vacancy at the US Embassy South Africa
- Level 3 (Good Working Knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required. (This may be tested).
- Level 3 (Good Working Knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing of one additional South African official language is required. (This may be tested).
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must have valid Code 10 (C1) with valid PDP (Professional Drivers Permit) endorsement on driver’s license.
- Must pass periodic medical/ocular examination, able to lift 50 pounds, and frequently lift or carry objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to operate automatic and standard transmission vehicles and maintain precise written records.
- Must be able to work as team member
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Agency Benefits:
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Pretoria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Other Information:
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
1. AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
2. AEFM / USEFM
3. FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
- How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- Required Documents:
- To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
• Residency and/or Work Permit
• Driver’s License
• Certificate or License
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
• Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
• Passport copy
• DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
• SF-50 (if applicable)
- Next Steps:
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Pretoria.
To apply for this job please visit erajobs.state.gov.