Website International School of Tanganyika ( IST )
The International School of Tanganyika, founded in 1963, is an international school in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Cover Teacher Job Vacancy at International School of Tanganyika ( IST )
Challenging, inspiring and supporting all our students to fulfil their potential and improve the world
IST will be a global leader in the education of internationally-mobile young people.
All students, regardless of their starting point, will think critically, achieve academically and develop the wisdom to make good choices. They will show curiosity and creativity in addressing authentic problems, local and global.
They will pursue their varied passions with enthusiasm, developing resilience, perseverance, and confidence. Understanding the diversity of people and cultures, they will act kindly, fairly, and responsibly.
All members of the IST community will work together to fulfil this vision.
Statement of Values
All members of the IST community are:
- Responsible – We act responsibly, positively and constructively towards ourselves and other people. We learn from our mistakes and accept the consequences of our actions.
- Inquiring – We show curiosity, perseverance and open-mindedness in seeking to understand and solve problems. We persevere in the face of difficulties and we embrace the learning that comes through failure as well as the joy of success.
- Compassionate – We empathise with others and act with care, kindness and courage. In our interactions, we behave with patience, generosity and integrity.
- Balanced – We believe in a broad education for our students, seeing the value of participation in a varied curriculum.
- Diverse – We treasure the diversity within the IST community, using the rich opportunities for deeper understanding that come from our differences.
IST Strategic Plan
Our Strategic Plan is in place to help our community align efforts to better reach our schoolʼs mission, vision and values. This plan is focused on three aims.
- Personalized Learning:
- The written, taught and assessed curriculum is designed to meet the needs of all learners
- Creation and implementation of the technology plan in order to ensure that future developments of media and information technology address the long-term needs of the school.
- Professional learning opportunities are designed to have a positive on impact student learning. (d) Ensure IST is recognized globally as an exemplary IB World School.
(e) Continued development of ISTʼs inclusion programs to support personalized experiences for all learners.
- Engaged Community:
- Build and sustain a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for all members of the school community.
- Continued development of partnerships with local and global individuals, organizations and alumni to enhance student learning.
- Develop and review processes and systems to enhance communication within the IST community
- Ensured Sustainability:
- Continued review and implementation of master site plan – with focus on inclusion and access as well as facilities to support innovative programs
- Review procedures to retain and recruit employees who are aligned with our strategic plan.
- Improve ISTʼs ability to work more sustainably and align environmental frameworks to improve our educational experiences and operations.
- Enhance processes for creating, auditing and reviewing IST policy and procedure documents.
Summary of the Role
To effectively teach designated pupils and to undertake associated pastoral and general teaching duties in order to provide high quality and continuity of education to pupils in the absence of their ‘regular’ teacher. Teachers at IST place student learning as their highest priority. They are responsible for ensuring effective learning in a context in which students feel understood, safe and confident. Teachers use a constructivist approach, and follow the IB curriculum programmes. Teachers support a diverse range of learning needs, and actively promote international-mindedness. In short, teachers are responsible for “challenging, inspiring and supporting all our students to fulfil their potential and improve the world.”
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Experience: 5+ yearsʼ teaching experience
- Must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Education and relevant teaching certification. Masters degrees are preferred.
- IB experience is preferred
- Excellent communication skills in spoken and written form
- Sound decision making, solutions focused,
- Knowledge of child protection and health and safety
- Willingness and ability to work collaborate effectively with colleagues
- Highly effective relationship developer with a variety of stakeholders
- Knowledge of IB Standards and Practices
Cover Teacher Job Vacancy at International School of Tanganyika ( IST )
- Collaborative team player, empathetic listener
- Integrity and confidentiality
- Strategic thinker, able to convert vision into action
- Internationally minded, emotional intelligence
- Intercultural awareness, creative, persuasive
- Flexible and capable of managing growth and instilling high standards
- Adept in multilingual settings, spirited, pioneering, professional and nurturing
The Cover Teacher responsibilities will be:
Planning and Organization: Teachers will display developed planning and organizational skills:
- Supervise work that has been set by a teacher.
- Manage the behaviour of pupils whilst they are undertaking this work to ensure a constructive environment.
Instructional Techniques: Teachers will demonstrate the use of a variety of teaching methods that support and exemplify the values of the PYP/MYP/DP:
- Utilize effective assessment techniques to facilitate student learning
- Display a thorough understanding of typical developmental characteristics of the taught age group.
- Use a variety of instructional methods, and differentiate effectively to facilitate different learning styles and abilities.
(c) IB: Display an understanding of inquiry and model the inquiry process.
Effective Communication: Teachers will use effective personal and professional communication skills:
- Set an example and encourage socially acceptable behaviour eg: correct usage of language and manner.
- Maintain a professional and positive tone in both oral and written communication with children, colleagues and parents.
- Use appropriate writing for school communications, editing as necessary.
Classroom Management and Organisation: Teachers will maintain a positive and stimulating classroom environment through effective classroom management skills:
(a) Actively engage children in learning activities (b) Manage classroom routines consistently and effectively.
- Maintain an orderly learning environment.
- Maintain a positive social and emotional tone in the classroom.
- Establish high, but attainable, behavioural expectations that are clear to all. (f) Provide engaging, dynamic and student-centred classroom environment.
Professional Responsibilities: Teachers will display a professional attitude and ethic.
- Consistently meet the IST Norms of Collaboration, school and IB responsibilities, deadlines and working hours.
- Communicates and plans in a positive, collaborative manner.
- Dresses in a professional manner according to the IST dress code.
Perform any other duties as designated by the Principal
Particulars of the Search
Prospective Cover Teachers should be based in Tanzania and need to formally apply. Applicants should submit a letter (in English) describing her/his fit and interest in the position along with an up-to-date curriculum vitae. The names, addresses and contact details of three (3) referees.
Applications and enquiries should be directed to email@example.com
Check Out: A Guide to Writing Great Cover Letters
Recommended: Read our Job Tips Here to enhance your Application
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org