National Institute for Medical Research
The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is a Parastatal Organization established by an Act of Parliament No. 23 of 1979 (CAP.59, R.E.2002) and became operational in 1980. NIMR-Mwanza Research Centre (MMRC) is one of the NIMR Centers located in Mwanza The Centre is currently conducting research on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, non-communicable diseases (NCDs) as well as other diseases of public health importance. The National Institute for Medical Research is looking for the qualified, experienced and well-motivated personnel to fill various vacant positions to work with LINEA and PARENT APP Projects. Duty station will be at NIMR Mwanza Centre.
- LINEA PROJECT: This is the cluster randomized controlled trial assessing the impact of a complex social norm intervention involving a tailor-made radio-drama program and curricula based information targeting adolescent girls aged 13 to 15 years and older men to prevent Age-Disparate Transactional Sex. This project is collaboration between NIMR, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and Amani Girls Home. NIMR will lead the study evaluation activities which involve both quantitative and qualitative data collection methods. The quantitative components will include questionnaire-based surveys among cohort participants and community members; while the qualitative part will involve in-depth interviews and focus group discussions with targeted cohort participants.
- PARENT APP PROJECT: NIMR is collaborating with the University of Oxford, UK and University of Cape Town, South Africa to conduct a two-arm cluster randomised controlled trial to test the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of ParentApp (an evidence-based parenting app for parents and caregivers of adolescents aged 1018 years) on improving parenting, reducing violence and assessing processes and outcomes which address parenting skills that promote holistic adolescent development, specifically related to executive function and social integration using a learning through play approach. The study is being conducted in two regions – Mwanza and Shinyanga in Tanzania.
Job Position: Data Manager (1 Post)
REPORTING: The post holder will report to the Principal Investigator (PI)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To develop and refine guidelines on good research data practices, ensuring that data management is integrated with existing data collection procedures for the study;
- To maintain the hardware and software related to the study;
- To develop data management and data cleaning plans;
- To set up data monitoring procedures, reviewing and analyzing data discrepancies, managing and resolving data quality issues together with the field-based staff and other staff, and writing routine reports to the study team;
- To ensure that the data collected is of high quality and is properly stored;
- To perform complex technical work associated with the installation; configuration, administration and maintenance of server systems as well as related software and applications;
- To manage and service the server and to provide direct technical leadership in the server and security disciplines; and
- To perform any other related duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Holder of a Masters Degree in Computer Science/Information Technology/ or Health Informatics is required;
- Strong management, inter-personal and communication skills;
- Excellent knowledge of server, storage and security technology and industry standard best practices;
- Ability to recognize and set priorities and to use initiative and independent decision-making skills;
- Ability to organize, direct, motivate and evaluate services team, mentor others, and foster a team environment;
- At least 3 years of work experience in data systems, programming in the health sector with health information systems.
TERMS OF SERVICE: One (1) year contract which may be renewed on annually based on performance and mutual agreement.
DUTY STATION: The successful candidate will be based at NIMR Mwanza Centre.
COMPENSATION: A competitive salary will be offered to the successful candidate as per project budget.
MODE OF APPLICATION:
- The application letter should be written in English.
- Applicants should indicate three reputable referees with a reliable contact.
- Applicants must attach relevant certified copies of academic certificates, including forms four and six.
- Application letters should be attached with a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
All applications should be addressed to:
National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) Mwanza Centre,
Mwanza. Or through email: email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org