Website World Vision - Tanzania
World Vision International is an evangelical Christian humanitarian aid, development, and advocacy organization
Environment and Climate Action Senior Advisor Job Vacancy at World Vision – Tanzania
With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 33,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
Employee Contract Type:
Local – Fixed Term Employee (Fixed Term)
The purpose of the role is to Provide highly Technical and Strategic support on Environment and Climate Change Action to FO;s to enhance environmental stewardship , lead necessary climate action initiatives within the East Africa region and collaborate with key stakeholders.
The senior advisor, through frequent field visit will provide technical support in the design and implementation of Environment, climate action program and associated projects in development work, emergency response and advocacy programs. Conduct quality assurance of implementation on sampling basis, assess capacity gaps in FO’s and carries out ToFs on core project models and approaches on environmental stewardship and climate action. Promote and support learning initiatives and manage the CoP, Lead and contribute to continuous innovative improvement integrated program/project interventions. Develop capability statements and contribute to design and resource mobilization efforts within the region and support FO’s. Coordinate with the Global partnership environment and climate change teams. Represent the Region in the various working groups and engagements on Environmental stewardship and climate action.
- Support the roll out and application of the Environmental Stewardship Policy across EARO offices.
- Support Field offices to set up and improve integrated programming in ESCA projects and build their capacity to do so.
- Develop compelling materials to strengthen WV EARO FO’s commitment and passion for work on ESCA (e.g., capability statements, case studies of success, business cases, Return on Investment etc.)
- Nurture a community of practice at field level to implement environmental programming with practical steps to
- that reduce WV’s environmental footprint
- Promote RO, and FO’s Carbon footprint and subsequent measures to reduce impact through initiatives with both internal and external stakeholders
- Monitor and track FO implementation of ESCA initiatives and report against relevant Regional and Global KPIs
- Advise FO’s on ESCA related policy statements as requested.
- Work with Regional Office and Field Office’s to raise grant and other resources to fund environmental projects
- Work with Priority Field Offices to design, develop and where necessary write grant applications to secure funding for ESCA projects
- Advise WV EARO FO’s on strategies, approaches and positioning to secure funding for ESCA projects.
- Work with Global Centre (Headquarters) ESCA and relevant funding offices and functions to build WV EAR Field Office capacity to meet sector and major grant donor requirements on ESCA (e.g. ECHO’s Minimum Operations Requirements )
- Work with EAR GAM to identify, map and communicate ESCA funding opportunities to WV EAR Field Offices.
- External and Internal (WV Partnership) Engagement
- Be a focal point for ESCA issues in cross and multisector programming, including commissioning and overseeing relevant field research/ positioning materials, establishment of external partnerships and help position EARO regional office in the WV Partnership on ESCA issues.
- Strategically engage with Donors, their respective Funding Offices and other partners in a response, development or nexus context, to ensure that WV is positioned as a viable partner for ESCA programs.
- Work with FOs to broker external partnerships that can forward ESCA work at field level.
- Represent the region effectively in key organizational discussions, platforms and fora
- Maintain partnerships with organizations, think tanks and agencies to fund and implement ESCA or integrated programs
- Will strengthen the implementation of the Nexus Approach by ensuring integration on humanitarian/development/peacebuilding initiatives.
- These efforts include stronger and more focused joint analysis, strategic planning and programming and more joint learning (field trips, evaluations etc.) between humanitarian, development, and peacebuilding actors.
- Focus on working in collaboration and complementarity between humanitarian and development actors and knowing that Field Offices will become more and more affected by the climate change, food insecurity, extreme poverty might lead to more conflicts over the scarce resources and the presence
- Work with humanitarian, development and peace actors to find solutions, to if/when possible, prevent conflict, violence (and population movement) to happen.
Environment and Climate Action Senior Advisor Job Vacancy at World Vision – Tanzania
Knowledge/Qualifications for the Role
Required Professional Experience
- Detailed knowledge of NGO Environmental Stewardship and Climate Action programming and how to apply it.
- Proven track record of growing communities of practice and influencing senior field stakeholders (Eg. Operations Directors, Head of Mission etc) is vital.
- Able to think and plan strategically and do practical field assessments, visits, proposal writing etc.
- Knowledge of Livelihoods, international development, humanitarian response, project management or other relevant field is an added advantage. Experience with Bilateral and UN Donors is required.
- Experience in development of projects, training materials, conducting training (face to face and online) and providing technical assistance.
- Understanding of the sector, donor and UN landscape for ESCA.
- Technical skills: Knowledge of ESCA Project models and approaches is desirable
- A minimum of 5 working experience in climate change and environmental stewardship, program development, implementation, resource mobilization in both emergency, development and advocacy context.
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 60% of the time, with possible extended periods of 4 to 6 weeks of field work.
- Preferred candidates should be committed to travel to Field Offices for days/weeks and spend time with Field Office technical teams in the field. Hands on support is a critical part of this role.
- Other: Clear communication skills, written and spoken high influencer, engager and an innovator, Techno survey, Trainer/coach, Research.
- Strong relationship building/network capacity, spiritual maturity in Christian faith, ability to influence, innovative, and proactive personality.
Required Education, training, license, registration, and certification
Master Degree in Environmental Sciences, Climate Change, degree in Program Management/International Development is an added advantage. Experience in advocacy, policy formation, guidance and implementation on ESCA project model.
Preferred Knowledge and Qualifications.
- Highly developed external engagement and networking skills Strong project management skills, including experience with research and development of programming models
- Excellent writing skills as shown through technical documents, thought pieces, and proposals
- Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and versatile in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
- Ability to motivate and develop staff Experience leading a task force or community of practice or learning
- Understanding of climate change risks and challenges
- Strong understanding of global strategies and frameworks on environmental stewardship and climate change.
- Knowledge on legal international conventions related to climate change.
- Strong negotiation, collaboration, networking, liaison, and donor engagement skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency using Excel, Microsoft Suite of products, databases and statistical packages.
- Consistently demonstrates high-level influence and strategic engagement skills and tactical savvy in delivery of technical assistance.
- Ability to think broadly and look at the macro, strategic issues to inform strategy choices and management pro
- Critical thinking skills to relate to work performed to broader business conte
Applicant Types Accepted:
Local Applicants Only
To apply for this job please visit worldvision.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.