Website SPARK Schools
SPARK Schools is a social impact disruptor and is leading change in the education space through its network of affordable private schools.
Watch our Vision Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOU0TYnNsZo
Take a tour of our Website: https://sparkschools.co.za/
SPARK Schools is a network of independent schools that provides affordable, globally competitive education through Africa’s first blended learning model. This innovative model elevates student achievement and provides the tools teachers need to serve their students effectively.
This blended learning model, which combines classroom teaching and online instruction, allows teachers to anticipate student needs and equips schools to provide personalized education at an affordable cost. SPARK Schools is pioneering this transformative education model to ensure the accessibility of university and careers for all.
SPARK Schools has a culture of collaboration, because getting South Africa to lead global education takes a team effort. We are innovators who strive for excellence through persistence and a sense of urgency to achieve SPARK Schools’ vision, mission and social transformational objectives. Our work environment is vibrant/cheerful, fast-paced/dynamic, engaging/stimulating, tech-enabled and data driven.
SPARK Schools is a high growth, mission and values-driven entrepreneurial organisation, operating 19 primary schools, 1 high school and serving over 14,000 families in 2022. We are looking for dynamic people to join our team.
Reports To: Property Operations Manager
Purpose of Role:
- The role of the EHS and Security Officer is to manage the organisation’s health, safety and security portfolio across all sites and support office. This includes the implementation and adherence of relevant policies and procedures; risk mitigation; continuous improvement, and on-going statutory compliance. The role is also responsible for collaborating closely with the School Leadership and Operations Team(s), while championing the SPARK culture and brand in all stakeholder interactions.
- Ensure that all health & safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are implemented and adhered to by relevant stakeholders across all the school sites and support office to ensure ongoing compliance.
- Periodically review, update and communicate health & safety strategy, policies, regulations and SOPs to ensure relevance, on-going compliance and continuous improvement.
- Stay up-to-date with new or revised legislation pertaining to health, safety and welfare (e.g. COVID 19).
- Ensure a safe workplace environment without risk to health by providing expert advice on health and safety matters.
- Oversee that all Health & Safety files are up to date and in compliance with legislation.
- Undertake comprehensive quarterly health and safety internal audits. Document, file and share internal audit reports with the School Leadership and Property Operations Manager.
- Assess each site’s audit rating and assist to action any non-compliance items / recommendations until completion and improvement. This may include delegating responsibility to relevant stakeholders regarding health and safety matters.
- Create useful content for Safety Toolbox Talks, and ensure that they are conducted across all sites on a quarterly basis.
- Coordinate with site leadership to ensure emergency preparedness and that fire drills are conducted.
- Manage and attend to logged tickets within agreed SLA timeframe.
- Ensure that all compliance certificates (incl. each site’s Health Certificate) are in place and valid. This includes keeping the relevant trackers up-to-date and documenting reasons for non-compliance or validity.
- Manage license and registration renewals – ensure that the relevant tracker is up-to-date and renewals have been proactively planned.
- Understand, commit to and deliver on the assigned applicable area of responsibility and duties as appointed by the 16(2) in terms of the OHS Act Section 8 (see appendix A).
- Ensure that all site and office security guards are PSIRA registered and their certification is valid.
- On a termly basis, complete a security risk analysis. Document and report any changes or improvements required.
- Ensure that installed security alarm systems are functional at all times and cover all priority areas.
- Implement access control policies, documents and file registers, and ensure that all sites follow the correct procedures.
- Ensure that all security-related policies, procedures, rules and regulations are implemented and adhered to by all stakeholders across all sites to ensure optimal safety and security.
- Stay up to date with industry security standards, regulations and/or legislation. This includes providing or seeking expert advice on security matters.
- Make a record of all current and potential risks, and update the register timeously.
- Conduct, investigate and document current and potential hazards present at all schools and offices. This includes updating the register (HIRA) in a timely manner.
- Review all risk assessments and root-cause analysis data for future mitigation and continual improvement.
- Monitor campus emergencies, including equipment breakdowns, malfunctions and alarm calls in conjunction with security companies.
- Respond to emergency situations or other urgent issues involving facilities and/or equipment. This may include attending to emergencies outside of working hours (e.g. break-ins).
- Conduct inspections together with the relevant department (Department of Labour & Employment; Department of Health) inspector and implement recommended changes.
- Ensure that all employees are aware of their respective responsibilities regarding security, health and safety in order to maintain optimised awareness and mitigation.
- Document, investigate and report on all incidents, accidents, complaints, criminal activities, cases of ill-health and/or injuries on the sites/properties.
- Post investigation, make recommendations for improvement and oversee the implementation of such improvements to ensure security, health and safety is maintained.
- Report any injuries and/or accidents to the Department of Labour (DoEL) within seven (7) days and and manage injury on duty claims with the Compensation Fund.
- Report any incidents of criminal nature to the appropriate authorities in a timeous manner.
- Develop, implement and communicate a crisis management plan for all sites/offices across the organisation. This includes ensuring that all employees understand the process clearly.
- Collect and report on the statistics linked to incidences across all sites. Share these reports with the Property Operations Manager.
- Work closely with the School Operations Managers/Site Section 8.2 Appointees to ensure that the required health and safety checklists are complete, procedures are followed and protocols are administered to the required standard.
- Obtain a Letter of Good Standing with PSIRA and COIDA on an annual basis.
- Establish, implement and/or communicate a structured programme of health and safety training throughout the organisation.
Ensure effective management of supplier (service provider) relationships in line with business objectives and signed supplier agreements.
Environmental Health & Safety and Security Officer Job Vacancy at SPARK Schools – South Africa
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Diploma or degree in a related field.
- PSIRA Grade A and PSIRA registration.
- Occupational Health & Safety training.
- 3 – 5 Years experience in a related field.
- Good knowledge of regulatory compliance.
- Good knowledge of Occupational Health & Safety Act.
Skills and Mindset:
- Managing and prioritizing the workload and meeting deadlines.
- In depth understanding of SPARK´s model and how that affects the scheduling of work,
communication lines, prioritizing etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent Interpersonal skills.
- Willing to work after hours if and when required.
- Ability to work under pressure, multitask and prioritise.
- The ability to work on strict deadlines and targets.
- Administrative and computer skills.
- Excellent work standard and ethics.
- Ability to participate as a team member and achieve agreed objectives.
- Self-motivated with a strong drive to deliver.
- Able to problem solve.
- Ability to travel frequently and may be required to stay overnight at locations.
- Displays grit, high level of excellence, is mission & vision aligned and displays a high level of self-reflection (GEMS).
- fair market linked remuneration
- performance-based annual bonuses and increases
- above average/good annual leave
- life, disability and funeral cover
- employee wellness support
- educational support & study leave
- individualised professional development, support and mentorship
- employee discount on school fees
- opportunities for career growth
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Rosebank, Johannesburg, South Africa
SPARK schools is an equal opportunities employer and preference will be given to candidates from designated groups with due consideration of the company’s Employment Equity goals and targets.
SPARK schools encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
SPARK Schools may expire the posting of this advertisement at their own discretion.
Kindly note that should you have not heard from us within two weeks of the closing date please consider your application unsuccessful.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.workable.com.