Website Nature Conservancy
A World Where People & Nature Thrive
Finance & Accounting Manager Africa Job Vacancy at Nature Conservancy.
WHO WE ARE
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which include a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight into TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube or on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “You’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
Since establishing the Africa Program in 2008, TNC’s vision in Africa is to work towards fostering a sustainable future for people and nature, partnering with indigenous communities across 55 million acres on the continent. Our efforts are firmly rooted in people, leveraging scientific and technical expertise as we collaborate with governments and organizations to conserve and enhance Africa’s shared resources in the nine countries where we operate.
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Finance & Accounting Manager Africa is a subject matter expert and a key player who serves as a resource to the finance team and Africa business unit. They will oversee the day-to-day accounting operations, including managing personnel with an unwavering commitment to excellence. Your role will involve ensuring compliance with accounting standards and providing valuable financial insights to support TNC’s growth and success. This entails managing, maintaining, and reporting financial data and/or monitoring management controls and processes and meeting strict deadlines to ensure compliance with TNC policies and procedures, relevant legal and regulatory frameworks, and financial/management best practices. You will be required to manage Business Unit finance team with exceptional organizational skills, communication abilities, and a process-driven mindset to drive productivity and achieve financial objectives. Working closely with other Finance Managers and Directors, you will ensure the department runs smoothly and help the team to succeed. If you love numbers, have an eye for detail, and are passionate about conservation, this role is for you! The position will report to the Associate Director of Finance and will be base din any country in Africa where TNC has an office (Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Gabon, South Africa or Angola)
WE’RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for work you can believe in? At TNC, we strive to embody a philosophy of Work that You Can Believe in and where you can feel like you are making a difference every day. We’re looking for someone with strong experience leading a diverse, multi-disciplinary team.
The ideal candidate should have exceptional communication and collaboration skills and experience in data and personnel management. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the ongoing mission of conservation by directing and shaping the work of our team!
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for managing, maintaining, and reporting financial data, monitoring management controls and processes, and ensuring compliance with TNC policies and procedures, relevant legal and regulatory frameworks, and financial management best practices.
- Point person for accounting and the BU advisor on revenue and expense coding to ensure continuous update of financial information on shared sites for Finance Operations related matters and smooth running of financial operations and programmatic support to the BU.
- Manage the finance accounting diary to ensure financial activities are met within set deadlines, including the year-end close process, the development of year-end projections of expense, periodic analysis of balance sheet accounts, and making necessary adjustments to ensure adherence to TNC requirements on reporting and accuracy of the BU reports.
- Ensure revenue is coded, and financial reports reflect donor intent, working with the development team to perform revenue allocation and ensure costs are charged accurately to respective funding sources.
- Ensure adequate checks and controls for financial processes are in place, ensure their compliance, implement, and manage new initiatives to strengthen financial processes, identify areas of improvement, and develop action plans.
- Participate in designing and implementing finance policies, procedures, and systems to comply with all applicable financial and accounting regulations.
- Reinforce compliance and consistency across the BU in the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Conduct periodic field visits to projects to understand the activities, monitor financial activities on the ground, and engage with teams.
- Review and monitor Income Statement and Balance Sheet items monthly and at year-end close to ensure adherence to TNC requirements, reporting and accuracy of the BU reports.
- Support Preparation/consolidation of financial statements, including detailed trial balance accounts with underlying support documentation in preparation for periodic audits.
- Enforce implementation of a proper electronic filing system of financial documentation and custodian of complete financial statements and supporting records, ensuring financial compliance as required by state agencies, internal auditor/external auditors, and similar personnel.
- Key resource to BU staff in addressing queries related to accounting and general financial management and operations treatment across the BU and world office.
- Provide operational support, including onboarding new staff, and facilitate the opening and closing of new country operations by providing financial guidance and assistance. May manage or participate in complex negotiations.
- Participate in implementing finance initiatives rolled out to international programs, especially on ERPs and accounting processes.
- Supervise regional finance professional staff with responsibility for training, professional development, and performance management.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, Accounting, or Business Administration and 5 years’ related experience or equivalent combination.
- Experience with accounting principles, practices, and regulations.
- Experience recruiting, supervising, and developing staff.
- Experience with GAAP and not-for-profit accounting principles, practices, and regulations, including government grants accounting and reporting.
- Experience working with U.S. Federal government circulars (OMB Circulars A-110, A-122 and A-133) and state and local regulations.
- Experience recruiting, supervising, and managing performance for remote teams.
- Experience in developing, managing, and implementing multiple projects.
- Experience managing a large finance department in not-for-profit organizations.
- Experience working in complex contexts and dealing with complex situations.
- CPA or ACCA may be required.
Finance & Accounting Manager Africa Job Vacancy at Nature Conservancy
- Over 8 years’ managerial experience in large international not-for-profit organizations.
- Experience monitoring for and ensuring compliance with organizational policy, applicable laws and regulations, and the best finance/accounting/management practices.
- Experience accounting, analyzing, and interpreting data and regulatory frameworks, reporting, and implementing solutions.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and monitoring annual budgeting process and monitoring respective individual budgets.
- Knowledge of GAAP and/or relevant regulatory framework with experience in complex accounting/financial frameworks
- Experience evaluating the adequacy and effectiveness of management controls, interpreting guidelines, and analyzing information to adapt or modify processes as needed.
- Ability to resolve complex issues independently within the program area.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment and build relationships with diverse departments, collaborators, and field staff.
- Advanced in MS Excel skills and proficiency in other Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Power BI, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook.
- Ability to model and synthesize complex financial information and operating and KPI data into appealing presentations (to a nonfinancial audience) to facilitate understanding of operational results and drive performance improvement decisions.
- Service oriented, courteous, personable, tactful, and experienced in dealing effectively with all levels of staff.
- Multi-lingual skills and/or multi-cultural experience appreciated.
- CPA (K) or ACCA qualification preferred.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, pension/ gratuity stipend including employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, and other life and work wellbeing benefits. Learn more about our benefits in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work environment that is supportive of the health, well-being, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.