Website Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger is a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger.
Gender Manager Job Vacancy at Action Against Hunger
|Reports to:||Nutrition Specialist|
|Last update:||April 2023|
Action Against Hunger leads the global movement to end hunger. We innovate solutions, advocate for change, and reach 24 million people every year with proven hunger prevention and treatment programs. As a nonprofit that works across 50 countries, our 8,300 dedicated staff members partner with communities to address the root causes of hunger, including climate change, conflict, inequity, and emergencies. We strive to create a world free from hunger, for everyone, for good.
Action Against Hunger USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network. As an independent NGO, Action Against Hunger USA currently manages operations in 8 countries: Tanzania, Kenya, South Sudan, Somalia, Uganda, Ethiopia, Zambia and Haiti.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Gender manager will be responsible and act as the principal resource on gender equality activities, practices, and outcomes relevant in the project context at the country level. The Gender manager will lead on developing training materials and other technical resources for gender mainstreaming in the program(s).
- The position is responsible for providing technical and strategic support to Action Against Hunger USA- (Tanzania office), specifically fronting the gender agenda, which include proactively supporting gender mainstreaming and integration in nutrition, health, WASH, FSL in order to achieve Gender Minimum Standards (GMS).
- The Gender Manager will participate in project development including planning, development of innovative gender strategies, communication, monitoring and evaluation strategies in close liaison with all departments. The position will be responsible for overseeing adherence and delivery of Action Against Hunger Gender Policy and safeguarding policy.
- Develop collaborative working relationships with program and support teams at national level to ensure gender integration throughout the project.
- The position holder will represent Action Against Hunger in key strategic and coordination meetings/forums both at national level.
- The Gender Manager will focus on strategic partnerships and relationship building on gender related matters with key stakeholders in the government institutions, donor community; with an initial focus on Global Affairs Canada, as well as other like-minded institutions.
She/he provide technical operational and strategic guidance in knowledge product development and technical input on gender related aspects including: conceptual clarity on gender mainstreaming in our programs in a timely manner.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Technical Support
- Act as the principal resource on gender equality issues, practices, and policies relevant to the project and in the project context at the country level.
- Conduct Gender Analysis exercises, this will include but is not limited to defining methodology, facilitating inception workshops, conducting training of teams for data collection, collecting, coding, analyzing, interpreting, and reviewing data and secondary sources, drafting gender analysis reports, conducting final workshops.
- Integrate the key findings of the gender-based analysis in the outcomes of the project.
- Focus on gender equality outcomes and the gender equality strategy in project implementation documents and monitoring.
- Provide capacity-strengthening opportunities and conduct gender-related trainings to staff as required.
- Promote the collection and use of sex-age disaggregated and gender-sensitive data and ensure that the participation of women and men in projects is monitored.
- Coordinate implementation of the gender equality strategy and related project activities.
- Support the country team in the interpretation of gender analysis findings and integration of those finding into programs.
- Promote significant participation of women and girls, especially in decision-making, throughout the life cycle of the project.
- Ensure that gender equality expertise is central throughout the project (i.e. from the planning to the evaluation phase).
- Assess the institutional gender equality capacity of partners and key stakeholders.
- Develop and provide inputs to project reports.
- Develop awareness of gender equality issues, resources, and opportunities.
- Internal and External Coordination
- Encourage the participation of project staff and project partners in gender equality training.
- Encourage the involvement of GE and women’s organizations that advance women’s rights.
- Act as the focal contact for Dodoma office fostering engagement and coordination with regional and district level partners and stakeholders
- Attend planning sessions, team meetings, and annual performance reviews as required.
- Pro-active exchange and collaboration with Action Against Hunger [office] team members and the International Network.
- Ensure an ongoing process of personal and professional development and learning.
- Team Management
- Foster a collaborative working environment.
- Provide gender technical supervision and support to Gender Officer.
- SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise staff who report directly to this position.
- Provide technical line management to gender officer(s).
- FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY
Gender Manager Job Vacancy at Action Against Hunger
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- To travel to the field, the employee must attest to a level of physical fitness capable of enduring physically difficult and highly stressful situations, which may include the necessity to walk long distances.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- WORKING CONDITIONS, TRAVEL AND ENVIRONMENT
- The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
- Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes.
VI. COMMITMENT TO Code of conduct
- Respect, promote, and follow the rules of professional conduct and ethics as outlined in the Action Against Hunger [Office] Code of Conduct.
- If holding a supervisory position, set an example of professional conduct and ethical behavior, ensure compliance of individuals under your supervision with the Code of Conduct, and enforce it as necessary.
- COMMITMENT TO SAFEGUARDING
- Comply with the Action Against Hunger International Safeguarding Policy and participate in mandatory Safeguarding training(s), as assigned by the organization.
- Contribute to the implementation of the International Safeguarding Policy within the scope of your responsibilities and performance areas.
- Conduct yourself according to the standards of the International Safeguarding Policy when carrying out your responsibilities or when interacting with populations we serve (e.g., children, and at-risk adults).
- Remain alert and responsive to any Safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills to be able to promote strong Safeguarding practices, raise concerns, and/or report incidents.
VIII. COMMITMENT TO Gender equality
- Comply with the Action Against Hunger Gender Equality Policy and participate in mandatory gender-related trainings, as assigned by the organization.
- Contribute to the implementation of the Gender Equality policy within the scope of your responsibilities and performance areas.
- Demonstrate commitment to gender equality principles to assist the organization in creating an enabling environment for gender equality, achieving its gender-transformative objectives, and promoting a feminist leadership approach.
- Be familiar with GAC’s gender equality approaches and requirements as well as the project’s gender equality strategy.
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, Anthropology, Gender and Development Studies or other Social Sciences related discipline. Master’s degree in Gender and Development would be added advantage.
- Minimum 7 years work experience on similar position with similar setting and responsibility.
- Experience in gender policy analysis and strategic planning and capacity development.
- Experience in designing and managing programs, with a particular focus on gender equality, gender and protection
- Knowledge of main donor requirements in terms of gender integration including GAC, USAID, SIDA, ECHO, among others.
- Experience in beneficiary protection from abuse and exploitation in development and humanitarian context and knowledge of international frameworks and safeguarding mechanisms.
- Knowledge of international standards and best practices related to safeguarding, PSEA, GBV, and Accountability to affected Populations (AAP) comments.
- Solid understanding and commitment to humanitarian principles including the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS)
- REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ESSENTIAL
- Superior communication and writing skills
- Add something about confidentiality and trust
- Demonstrated analytical skills both qualitative and quantitative approaches
- Possess good knowledge in advocacy
- Experience in mainstreaming gender in multi-sectoral programming (Health and nutrition, WASH, food security and Livelihoods);
- Fluency in written and spoken English language.
All employment offers with Action Against Hunger are conditional upon the receipt of satisfactory references and the signing our code of conduct, Safeguarding Policy with a particular focus on Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse and Child Safeguarding. This position will also be subject to robust reference and background screening checks.
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their CV and cover letters online via
email@example.com Action Against Hunger-USA provides all staff with an attractive salary & benefits package. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. The dead line is 25th April 2023.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org