The International Organization for Migration
Laboratory Technician-Technologist Job Vacancy at IOM
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Vacancy Notice IOM/KSU/020/2022
Position title Laboratory Technician-Technologist
Position grade G4
Duty station Kasulu/Makere, United Republic of Tanzania
Durations One Year with possibility of extension
Position number To be created
Job family MHD
Organizational unit MHD Unit
Reports directly to Laboratory Administrator
Overall Supervised by Chief Migration Health Officer
II. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Under the direct supervision of the Laboratory Administrator and the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) the incumbent will be responsible for technical support to laboratory services with respect to Migration Health Assessments (HAP) and other programmes implemented by the IOM Migration Health Division in country Kasulu/Makere, Tanzania.
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
1. Perform laboratory procedures as assigned by the laboratory supervisor for pre-examination, examination, and post-examination activities through the use of the standard relevant equipment.
2. Ensure standards and the quality of laboratory procedures by strictly following the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s).
3. Adhere to biosafety measures adopted in the laboratory, minding the safety of oneself and others.
4. Organize and operate activities on assigned station for accurate, efficient, and timely delivery of results.
5. Perform quality control activities for assigned stations and document results as required.
6. Facilitate in maintenance of laboratory equipment in good working order and operate equipment appropriately following SOP’s.
7. Facilitate in laboratory stock management and monitor that the equipment and consumables are sufficient for the anticipated work.
8. Facilitate to maintenance of established system of organized record keeping and information management for timely delivery of results, data collection, analysis and reporting for laboratory monitoring and facilitation to operational research.
9. Participate in the development and updating of SOP’s as needed.
10. Participate in the improvement of the service system according to adopted work plan in the laboratory.
11. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
IV. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Completed Bachelor’s degree or Diploma from an accredited academic institution in Medical (Clinical) Laboratory Sciences, Microbiology, or a related discipline.
• At least two years of relevant laboratory experience in a busy institution, preferably in a laboratory.
• Relevant technical knowledge and practices to personnel and laboratory operations.
• Computer literate with understanding of accurate data collection and analysis for monitoring and continuous improvement of laboratory services and performance; and,
• Good awareness of the laboratory role in health systems, optimal use of resources for quality and efficient services delivery.
Laboratory Technician-Technologist Job Vacancy at IOM
Fluency in both written & spoken English and Kiswahili are required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation; and,
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
• The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
• Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances
The UN system in Tanzania provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, diversity, integrity, a healthy balance of work and life and equal opportunities for all, including persons with disability.
Female candidates and qualified persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply for UN vacancies and are protected from discrimination during all stages of employment.
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should fill in the PH form, submit CV’s and cover letter indicating Vacancy Number with 3 professional references and contacts to email
The vacancy is open for both internal and external candidates Tanzanian national only.
Only e-mail applications will be considered.
The deadline for submitting the application is 29 November 2022.
Check this out : Important Tips to use during a Job Search
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org