Website UN Women
UN Women, is a United Nations entity working for gender equality and the empowerment of women.
Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality, and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls, the empowerment of women, and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace, and security. Through its programmes and projects, UN Women provides technical assistance to national partners in the implementation of existing international and national commitments to women’s human rights and gender equality, facilitates the exchange of good practices, and advocates for women’s rights and gender equality in all areas of life.In 2021, UN Women, in collaboration with the Governments of France and Mexico, convened the Generation Equality Forum, a global multistakeholder partnership to drive results and accelerate the full and effective implementation of the Beijing Platform for Action and the Sustainable Development Goals. Generation Equality Forum is fully embedded in UN Women’s Strategic Plan and aims to accelerate the achievement of results contained therein. Generation Equality Forum is also recognized by the Secretary-General’s “Common Agenda” as an important initiative to support UN system wide frameworks to take stock of and build on international commitments to gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls.The 2021 Generation Equality Forum was catalytic in unlocking commitments to accelerate the achievement of gender equality, including multiple robust policy, programme, financial and advocacy commitments. The United Republic of Tanzania (U.R.T) is among the participating states that adopted the thematic area on Economic Justice and Rights as a vehicle towards the realization of gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls. A National Advisory Committee was established in 2021 in the United Republic of Tanzania to work closely with the gender machinery to champion the implementation of the Tanzania’s commitments and to increase investments in the creation of decent care jobs; expand decent work; broaden women’s access to and control over land and other productive resources; and develop and implement economic plans, budget reforms and stimulus packages to reduce the number of women and girls living in poverty by the year 2026.Tanzania recently joined seven other UN Member States in the Generation Equality Multi-Stakeholder Leadership Group, established to help deliver on the Generation Equality Forum agenda. In October 2022, Tanzania President was invited to cohost the Mid-Point Summit of the Generation Equality Forum to be held on the side-lines of the UN General Assembly in September 2023. The announcement follows Tanzania’s commitment as one of the leaders of the global Generation Equality Forum Action Coalition on Economic Justice and Rights in 2021, and several key achievements in the country in pushing forward women’s economic rights and empowerment in the last year.It is in this context that UN Women is seeking the services of a Senior GEF Coordination Consultant to support the URT in its role as co-host of the GEF mid-point and several other meetings/tasks leading up to the GEF Summit in 2023.
Duties And Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Country Representative and under the daily supervision of UN Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE) Programme Specialist, the Senior GEF Coordination Consultant will undertake the following tasks and deliverables in collaboration with the GEF National Chairperson and the President’s Office Regional Administration and Local Government, and in close collaboration with the Ministry of Community Development, Gender, Women and Special Groups for Tanzania Mainland, Ministry of Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children Zanzibar, UN Women Regional and Headquarters GEF focal points and units.
- Coordinate and support the U.R.T provisions of inputs and recommendations on Generation Equality’s key milestones and advocacy moments including annual gatherings, midpoint moment in 2023, and 5-year Anniversary event in 2025/2026.
- Develop strategies on effective engagement of the Government of Tanzania’s in the GEF including activities and events leading up the Mid-Point Summit in 2023.
- Coordinate and engage in all meetings and discussions, identify key messages on gender equality issues, propose action points for UN Women and undertake follow up.
- Liaise and coordinate with the Chairperson of the GEF and National Secretariat.
- Support and facilitate two high-level GEF meetings hosted by Government of Tanzania and provide logistic and substantive technical support.
- Prepare various reports and documentations to support Tanzania’s role in GEF Leadership Structures, fostering of good practices and synergies across Action Coalitions.
- Prepare speeches, reports, briefing notes, presentations, press releases, reports and undertake research for the Office of the President and the GEF National Chairperson in relation to the GEF.
- Organize panel discussions, side events, briefings and stakeholder events, and other activities, as requested.
- Provide substantive technical support to the Office of the President on Tanzania on outreach and advocacy messages in important global spaces at the UN, AU, SADC, EAC and beyond.
- Monitor progress of GEF implementation in Tanzania in close collaboration with the GEF National Advisory Committee.
- Draft substantive papers, background and briefing notes, talking points and key messages and provide inputs to various reports, as requested by the HQ GEF Coordination Unit.
- Provide technical inputs on information dissemination, advocacy for local and international media, including in UN Women website and social media platforms, in close collaboration with the Communications Team.
- Closely collaborate with GEF HQ and RO colleagues and contribute to UN Women internal monitoring and reporting processes for the Tanzania Strategic Note
- Perform other tasks related to Tanzania’s role as co-host of the GEF Mid-point Summit.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely engagement in GEF processes and events, including provision of high-quality substantive technical support to the Government of Tanzania.
- Maintain strong relationship and goodwill with Government of Tanzania and other stakeholders.
- Timely and quality research and analysis, drafting of key messages, documents, and reports.
- Timely organization of high-level meetings, panel discussions, side events, briefings, and other activities of high quality.
National Consultant Job Vacancy at UN Women
Duration of assignment
The consultancy is based on the above deliverables spread over a ten-month period with an agreed monthly payment.
Submit an inception report within 3 days of signing the contract with UN WomenApproved inception reportCoordinate and support the U.R.T provisions of inputs and recommendations on Generation Equality’s key milestones and advocacy moments including annual gatherings, midpoint moment in 2023, and 5-year Anniversary event in 2025/2026Inputs and recommendations on Generation Equality’s key milestones and advocacy moments.Develop strategies on effective engagement of the Government of Tanzania’s in the GEF including activities and events leading up the Mid-Point Summit in 2023Document on engagement strategies in the GEF activities and eventsLiaise and coordinate with the Chairperson National SecretariatsGEF high level meeting reportsSupport and facilitate two high-level GEF meetings hosted by Government of Tanzania and provide logistic and substantive technical supportPrepare various reports and documentations to support Tanzania’s role in GEF Leadership Structures, fostering of good practices and synergies across Action CoalitionsKnowledge documents and reports in relation to the GEF implementation and eventsPrepare speeches, reports, briefing notes, presentations, press releases, reports and undertake research for the Office of the President and the GEF National Chairperson in relation to the GEFOrganize panel discussions, side events, briefings and stakeholder events, and other activities, as requestedProvide substantive technical Coordination and support to the Office of the President on Tanzania’s role in outreach and advocacy messages efforts within important global spaces at the UN, AU, SADC, EAC and beyond as well at country levels including local government levelsReports on Tanzania’s engagement in global spaces in relation to GEFMonitor progress of GEF implementation in Tanzania in close collaboration with the GEF National Advisory CommitteeGEF progress reportsDraft substantive papers, background and briefing notes, talking points and key messages and provide inputs to various reports, as requested by the HQ GEF Coordination UnitProvide technical inputs on information dissemination, advocacy for local and international media, including in UN Women website and social media platforms, in close collaboration with the Communications TeamGEF information for media communicationClosely collaborate with GEF HQ and RO colleagues and contribute to UN Women internal monitoring and reporting processes for the Tanzania Strategic NoteGEF progress reportsPerform other tasks related to Tanzania’s role as co-host of the GEF Mid-point Summit.
- Respect for Diversity.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues.
- Creative Problem Solving.
- Effective Communication.
- Inclusive Collaboration.
- Stakeholder Engagement.
- Leading by Example.
- Ability to establish, build, and sustain effective relationships with clients, demonstrating understanding of client’s perspective and how to anticipate client needs and address them promptly.
- Works effectively as a team member, demonstrating emotional intelligence and good judgment.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s degree (or equivalent) in social sciences, political science, international relations, gender studies, public administration, or other related fields.
- A minimum of 7 years of demonstrated professional experience in providing policy advice, guidance on gender equality, women’s economic empowerment issues to governments.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in coordination, monitoring and tracking progress, and reporting on GEWE.
- Previous experience in representing Government of Tanzania in intergovernmental meetings/forums.
- Previous experience with UN, regional and/or international organizations is an asset.
- Excellent research, writing and oral presentation skills.
National Consultant Job Vacancy at UN Women
- Excellent command of English, both written and spoken is required.
- Fluency in Swahili (both written and spoken) is required.
Submission Of Applications
The interested consultant (s) should respond to this TOR by submitting to UN Women:
- A detailed technical proposal explaining how the results will be achieved, including a workplan, results framework, detailed financial proposal (budget for activities including consultancy fees and travel costs).
- A letter of interest (in English) indicating availability for the assignment, requested lump sum payment including travel costs, and preference for paired national consultant (if any).
Submission Of Application
lease note that applications without a completed and signed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
UN Women Personal History form (P-11) can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment .
UNWOMEN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.undp.org.