International Monetary Fund
The Monetary and Capital Markets Department (MCM) of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) is seeking an experienced expert to work as Resident Advisor on Forecasting and Policy Analysis System (FPAS) to be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
The advisor will be located at AFE (AFRITAC EAST) to help recipient countries improve the economic analysis and forecasting capabilities at central banks in support of the monetary policy decision-making process. Emphasis will be placed on assisting the authorities in developing near-term operational forecasting toolkits and a quarterly projections model, as well as in strengthening coordination between the forecasting team and the monetary policy committee (MPC). The resident advisor will help identify and address CD needs, taking account of individual countries’ monetary and exchange policy rate regimes, forecasting capability as well as their capacity levels. The advisor will undertake these activities through TA missions, training engagements and peer-to-peer learning activities either alone or with specialized short-term experts that are on the IMF’s expert roster.
This is a one-year contractual position, which is renewable for up to two years subject to budget availability and satisfactory performance. The expert will be resident in Dar es Salaam, with extensive regional travel as deemed necessary by the approved work plan and as requested by the authorities with prior consultation with MCM.
To promote knowledge transfer and facilitate sustainability, the advisor will also coordinate activities closely with the relevant AFE staff and facilitate the use of short-term experts to supplement as needed. Specific duties involved in pursuing these objectives include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate TA and training on developing and implementing FPAS to support the monetary policy decision-making process (in all types of monetary policy and exchange rate regimes, and through the use of peripatetic experts);
- Assist countries to incorporate forward-looking model-based analysis and forecasts into the MPC cycle of the central bank;
- Coordinate hiring of short-term experts with help of IMF headquarters and RTAC staff;
- Organize, conduct and facilitate workshops and/or seminars on relevant topics for members’ staff, both at the country and regional levels; some of these workshops/seminars may be organized in collaboration with other AFRITACs;
- Arrange attachments and mentoring opportunities for staff of beneficiary institutions for capacity building purposes;
- Participate in select MCM missions and coordinate with MCM on its delivery of CD to AFE member countries;
- Prepare and circulate appropriate debriefing documentation before/during/after missions;
- Liaise, as needed, with other AFE resident advisors (particularly the one working on monetary policy operations);
- Liaise and coordinate on relevant projects with other CD providers working in member countries;
- Prepare/update the results logical frameworks (logframes) to design and deliver CD in line with the Fund’s RBM framework, discuss and agree with authorities on the outcomes expected from CD on a consistent basis, and use the Fund’s RBM system to track and monitor TA results;
- Closely coordinate with relevant administrative support as it relates to RBM;
- Coordinate closely with MCM to ensure complementarity of and avoid overlap in the support provided to member countries and the East African Community (EAC) by AFE and HQ;
- Prepare under the supervision of the AFE Center Director a 12-month work plan in collaboration with the country authorities and IMF stakeholders (MCM, AFR country teams) and, in collaboration with country authorities, prepare annual assessments of this work plan and capacity-building needs in AFE member countries, taking account of previous TA delivery and developing circumstances.
- As required by the Center Director, contribute to the AFE corporate work (e.g., annual report, quarterly newsletters, social media outreach).
Resident Advisor Job Vacancy at IMF
- The ideal candidate should have a post-graduate degree in a relevant area (Economics, Finance) and minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in monetary policy, modeling, forecasting and analysis operations.
- Experience in monetary policy decision-making would be desirable.
- In addition, excellent command of English (oral and written) is compulsory.
- The IMF is committed to achieving a diverse staff, including gender, nationality, culture, and educational background.
MCMTA Monetary and Capital Markets Dept. Technical Assistance Strategy
A11, A12, A13, A14
The IMF is committed to achieving a diverse staff, including age, creed, culture, disability, educational background, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, nationality, race, religion and beliefs, and sexual orientation.
To apply for this job please visit imf.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.