Tanzania Horticultural AssociationTanzania Horticultural AssociationTanzania Horticultural Association
TAHA is an apex private sector member-based organization mandated to develop and promote horticulture (flowers, fruits, vegetables, spices, herbs and horticultural seeds) in Tanzania. TAHA’s goal is to improve the growth and competitiveness of horticultural industry in the country for social and economic gains. TAHA is a unified voicing platform for Tanzania horticulture, representing farmers at all levels: processors, exporters and service providers in the horticultural industry in Tanzania.
TAHA is looking for motivated and experienced Tanzanians to fill the position of Agronomists, who will serve under a potential project “Vijana Kilimo Biashara” (VKB) – horticulture component funded by WFP. These positions are open to internal and external candidates.
Number of positions available: 2
Reporting to: Production Lead
Duty station: Arusha (1) and Manyara (1), Tanzania
The Agronomist is responsible for working with farmers to determine the best method to improve extension and production techniques for improved crop yields, and work with farmers to resolve crop challenges. The Agronomist will also conduct research and promote agricultural strategies to counter the effects of climate change and related impact to soil and pest and disease behavior, while participating in product marketing.
- Mobilize farmers into formal groups/associations and register them with TAHA.
- Establish crop cluster for Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) training, agro dealers and market linkages.
- Set up demonstrations on farming practices, improved production technologies, harvesting and post – harvest techniques.
- Establishing and managing farmers’ collection and distribution centers to ensure they operate commercially and sustainably.
- Introduce innovative horticultural practices that empower farmers with technical skills and capabilities through business-oriented extension services.
- Prepare and coordinate technical training programs, farmer field days, workshops, exchange visits and other farmers networking events.
- Identifying relevant new methods, develop training materials and technologies of irrigation, harvesting, processing, storage, cooling and transporting horticulture products to the market.
- Conduct periodic surveys to farmers to identify production, harvesting and transportation constraints and develop mechanisms of addressing such constraints.
- Organize Farmer Feld Days; where farmer can share production practices and experiences.
- Realize and coordinate the potential of other value chain within the region.
- To identify market opportunities at the local, regional & international levels.
- Develop and implement strategies for sustainable market linkages at local, regional and international markets. Understand key market and production requirement for aligning the demand and supply sides for market linkage processes.
- Create market opportunities and provide a range of marketing options for small scale producers.
- Conduct assessment of farmers and SMEs to identify their business capacity gap and propose the most economic and sustainable methods of addressing them.
- Coordinate market/business interactive sessions between farmers, traders and other relevant actors for the purpose of market linkages, networking, and learning purposes.
- Work with other TAHA- departments in identifying marketing challenges and opportunities and advice the best ways of addressing them.
- In collaboration with stakeholders involved in collection centres under your area and other TAHA departments (Business Environment, Finance) assume the role of facilitating collection centre business model development and implementation for operationalization of centres.
- Maintain solid relations between TAHA, and Local Government Authorities (LGAs) and other ground partners in the respective areas.
- Identify and coordinate ground partners in and ensure resources are aligned with other ground partners for bigger/tangible results and impact.
- Identify and engage relevant potential horticultural actors/partners within your area and advice the best way of working/partnering with them.
- Ensure quality and timely reports are produced and shared with relevant parties in close collaboration with the Programs and M&E Departments.
1.5 TAHA Representation
- Represent TAHA and the industry in events related to production, technology and innovation.
Agronomists Job Vacancies at TAHA – 2 Positions
Qualifications, skills and experience
|A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree of Science in Agronomy, Horticulture, Agriculture general, Applied Agricultural extension and Crop production and Management|
|· Minimum of 3 years of experience in agricultural development, with a focus on horticulture and crop production
· Proficiency in modern agricultural techniques, including Good Agricultural Practices (GAP), irrigation, harvesting, and post-harvest management.
· Strong understanding of horticultural practices, including knowledge of innovative and sustainable methods.
· Experience in establishing and managing farmers’ groups, collection, and distribution centers.
· Familiarity with market analysis, linkages, and marketing strategies for agricultural products.
Interested and qualified individuals should send their applications enclosing detailed;
- Application letter.
- Curriculum vitae (not exceeding 4 pages).
- Copies of qualification certificates.
The cover letter to be addressed to;
Human Resources and Administration Manager,
P.O. Box 16520,
- Submission: All applications must be submitted via email to the following address: email@example.com.
- Format: Please compile your application into a single PDF attachment. Ensure that all required documents are included in the PDF.
- Subject Line: In the subject line of your email, clearly state the position you are applying for. For example: “APPLICATION FOR AGRONOMIST POSITION.”
- Deadline: The deadline for submitting your application is Sunday, 12th November, 2023. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
- Adherence: Please carefully adhere to all instructions provided above. Failure to comply with these instructions may result in your application not being reviewed.
The successful candidate will be remunerated according the TAHA salary scale, and in alignment with the candidate’s qualifications and professional experience. Other employment benefits will be as per the organization’s policy.
Please note: TAHA is an equal opportunity employer that welcome all qualified candidates to apply for the open positions. TAHA is committed to create a diverse and inclusive workplace where all employees feel valued and respected.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org