Website Unilever - Tanzania
Unilever plc is a British multinational consumer goods company with headquarters in London, England
Assistant Factory Manager Job Vacancy at Unilever
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
To ensure the factory produces tea of appropriate quality at a minimum cost in a safe manner.
- Maintain 100% of effectiveness and efficiency of all related factory production through operational leadership, and use of appropriate technology to produce consistently the right quality in the right amount.
- Directly responsible for operations, maintenance and efficiency of machinery, transports, buildings, and surroundings.
Administrative and Communications
- Should prepare factory budget in line with the Factory Manager and Responsible for expenditure monitoring and controls
- To improve manufacturing activities by translating business, customer requirements into system that assure, measure and control manufacturing performance.
- To determine and optimize the asset base and its utilization to fulfill the business plan and provide customers satisfactions through new technological developments, improvements, and supplier management.
- To implement policies, quality systems and standards, to allow the company to meet its commitment to product safety for customers, operation safety for employees, community, and environment to minimize the cost of non-conformance.
- To develop and achieve synergy between technical and human capabilities to maximize manufacturing performances by maintaining discipline, welfare, and morale of workers, issuing instructions and training of management staff.
- To develop manufacturing systems, processes and opportunity for effective product, process, and pack innovation through the application of scenario-planning, designing for manufacture and process development
- Responsible for efficient use of resources and maintenance of all plants and machinery within the factory i.e., boiler, buildings, transport, wood fuel and water, all the time.
- Work with Human Resources staff to recruit, interview, select, hire, and employ an appropriate number of employees.
- Provide oversight and direction to the employees in the operating unit in accordance with the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Coach, mentor and develop staff, including overseeing new employee onboarding and providing career development planning and opportunities.
- Empower employees to take responsibility for their jobs and goals. Delegate responsibility and expect accountability and regular feedback.
- Foster a spirit of teamwork and unity among department members that allows for disagreement over ideas, conflict and expeditious conflict resolution, and the appreciation of diversity as well as cohesiveness, supportiveness, and working effectively together to enable each employee and the department to succeed.
- Consciously create a workplace culture that is consistent with the overall organizations and that emphasizes the identified mission, vision, and values of the organization.
- Lead employees/direct reports using a performance management and development process that provides an overall context and framework to encourage employee contribution and includes goal setting, feedback, and performance development planning.
- Lead employees to meet the organization’s expectations for productivity, quality, and goal accomplishment.
- Provide effective performance feedback through employee recognition, rewards, and disciplinary action, with the assistance of Human Resources, when necessary.
- Maintain employee work schedules including assignments, job rotation, training, vacations, and paid time off, telecommuting and cover for absenteeism.
- Maintain transparent communication. Appropriately communicate organization information through department meetings, one-on-one meetings, and appropriate email, IM, and regular interpersonal communication.
- Review performance data that includes financial, activity reports and spreadsheets, to monitor and measure departmental productivity, goal achievement, and overall effectiveness.
- Manage the preparation and maintenance of reports necessary to carry out the functions of the department/estate. Prepares periodic reports for management, as necessary or requested, to track strategic goal accomplishment.
- Communicate regularly with managers, general managers, directors, and other designated contacts within the organization.
- Should ensure proper factory stores management by making sure all controls are in place and also only required and approved items should be in stock.
- Interfaces with many roles e.g. Other factories, Engineering, Estates, Medical, SHE & Security, HR, IT, Unions, Customers Development, Planning QA/WCM;
- Continuously improve the performance of production units and assets, through operator leadership, application of WCM, effective assets care and use of appropriate technology to produce consistently the right quality (TANO BORA) in the right amounts.
- Should work closely with welfare team to ensure proper employees house maintenance and ensure clean surroundings.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities, as may be assigned.
Safety, Health, Environment & Quality
- Implement Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality management systems as per company policies and legislation.
- Authorizes permits to work certificates in line with company policies
- Prepares standard operating procedures and specific work instructions for new projects and processes, and proposes reviews
- Writes up Standard Operating Procedures and safe operating procedures for developed innovation processes and machinery.
- Responsible for environmental protection, health, and safety aspects during implementation of projects
- Responsible for risk assessment, including hazard and operability (HAZOP) studies, for the health and safety of both company staff; contractors and the wider community.
- Carry out task risks assessments and where necessary to enlist more experienced or even external professional help for this.
- Ensuring/establishing safe systems of work and ensuring that all employees and contracted personnel adhere to them
- Ensuring that all aspects of an operation or process meet specified health, safety and environment Ekaterra standards and legal requirements
- Ensuring that all Health and Safety considerations have been considered.
- Overseeing the security at all sites (active and inactive) in coordination with the Security Manager.
- Inspecting and reviewing projects to monitor compliance with building safety codes, and other regulations.
- Should closely monitor the SHE Clerk in compiling data and putting-up regular SHE reports (OHS, EPR etc)
Assistant Factory Manager Job Vacancy at Unilever – Tanzania
- A degree in Engineering (Mechanical or Production) or A degree in food Science and Technology. Food processing experience will be an added advantage
- 2 – 3 Years’ experience, intensive knowledge of food processing – preferably Tea processing.
Key professional skills.
- Manufacturing performance and management
- WCM and continuous production improvement
- Providing shop floor leadership
- Developing and Delivering factory responsiveness e.g. synchronous production
- Optimizing facility configuration and work systems, reliability, downtime, and maintenance management
- Asset investment, care, and quality assurance
- Influencing and implementing innovation
- Responsible care and creating effective work environment
- Responsible for efficient Energy Management
- Organizational awareness/Strategic influencing
- Intellectual power to determine direction and market orientation
General knowledge of various employment laws and practices and employee relations.
- Evidence of the ability to practice a high level of confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational Management skills.
Unilever is an organisation committed to equity, inclusion and diversity to drive our business results and create a better future, every day, for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. At Unilever we are interested in every individual bringing their ‘Whole Self’ to work and this includes you! Thus if you require any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of your application so that we can support you through your recruitment journey.
Read Also: Avoid having this ‘red flag’ on your CV
How to Apply:
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit careers.unilever.com.