Website ABSA Bank Tanzania Limited
Absa Bank Tanzania Limited, formerly Barclays Bank Tanzania Limited, is a commercial bank in Tanzania and a subsidiary of South Africa-based Absa Group Limited.
With over 100 years of rich history and strongly positioned as a local bank with regional and international expertise, a career with our family offers the opportunity to be part of this exciting growth journey, to reset our future and shape our destiny as a proudly African group.
My Career Development Portal: Wherever you are in your career, we are here for you. Design your future. Discover leading-edge guidance, tools and support to unlock your potential. You are Absa. You are possibility.
Absa Bank Tanzania Limited is one of the oldest banks in the country and among the first international bank to open its doors to Tanzania customers in 2000. Absa serves over 65,000 customers through a network of 15 branches and 60 ATMs providing a variety of banking products and services including saving, current and deposit accounts, commercial lending, unsecured lending, treasury, investments, card acquiring, card business, etc. In addition to this, Absa provides specialized services to its clients in services such as Cash-in-Transit, partnership, premier & prestige banking, online banking, mortgage, ATM, and mobile banking.
Absa goal is to become African financial services group that aimed to be the pride of the continent, our purpose is to “Bringing possibilities to life”
- Assists the Head of Head of Business Banking in developing the BB strategy through provision of insightful strategic analysis on competitor activities, pricing trends and sensitivity, economic analysis, and such other relevant macro trend analysis.
- Coordinates and compiles the BB financial plans/budgets (both STP and MTP) including analytical support of the budget drivers and processes of the plans for the specific BB businesses in liaison with the budget owners.
- Challenges BB functional budgets thereby ensuring that they are realistic and stretching and makes recommendations on BB functional targets to the BB Head.
- Manages the BB budgets and financial performance including Income, Cost and Balance Sheet streams highlighting material variances and reporting regularly to the Head of Head of Business Banking with recommendations for timely strategic actions.
- Monitors market developments and builds relationships with product and relationship teams in designing strategic pricing initiatives and structures to drive financial performance.
- Performs GAP Analysis on customer portfolios in liaison with relationship and product teams and provides recommendation report on potential business development and/or expansion areas within existing BB portfolios thereby influencing customer relationship plans.
- Owns and coordinates the development and management of robust, relevant, timely and effective management information (MI), at times adhoc; that drives BB business direction and performance enhancement.
- Supports the functional and product managers on designing and managing business processes that minimizes income leakages and assist in reviewing business processes to achieve efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Manages and coordinates the income collection and cost reduction rig our processes including monitoring of auctioning Interest Reports and general pricing monitoring of BB products.
- Reviews claims of customer refunds with recommendation for approval to Head of BB with a view to identifying, fixing, and improving the process lapses necessitating the refunds.
- Recommends expenditure approvals to Head of BB. Coordinates all BB financial, business and performance related matters with other business functions.
- Manages and coordinates BB external financial audits providing requested information and responding to all audit queries raised by external Auditors. Follows up audit findings ensuring that corrective actions are timely implemented.
- Assists the Head of BB in aligning individual and team targets ensuring that the agreed individual and team PD targets adequately contribute to the achievement of overall BB business financial goals and objectives.
- Manages the performance monitoring and tracking process of individual, relationship, and product teams’ progress against PD plans, reporting to Head of Head of BB and all other stakeholders. Working with colleagues to identify areas of improvement, regularly reviewing outcomes.
- Coordinates the compilation of monthly detailed BB performance pack and monthly performance dashboard league providing explanations to team members based on compilation for transparency and objectivity in performance measurement, necessary for team buy-in and motivation.
- Constructively challenges monthly results and forecasts for BB business areas and Finance Reporting. Assisting in identifying value adding initiatives to improve on performance.
- Manages and coordinates the monthly team performance meetings for Departmental Heads to review financial performance and strategic forecasting. Monitors and tracks agreed action points from these meetings to drive performance.
- Work closely with the Head of BB, BB relationship and product teams to drive and deliver performance across BB business.
- Coaching team members on how individual and team PD financial targets are measured proactively reflecting on their feedback to win buy-in for effective and efficient PD review and process improvement.
- Manages the performance team members. Guiding and influencing the wider team members involved in MI processes and compilation on effective and efficient methodologies of data collation and processing and analysis.
- Promote teamwork in delivering performance by designing performance measurement processes that recognizes performance both at individual and team levels.
Risk and Controls Objectives
Manage risk and control effectively by applying applicable risk frameworks and embedding a positive risk culture
- Understanding of own role in the end-to-end processes in which you play a part, including applicable risks and controls.
- Adhere to Absa’s policies and procedures applicable to own role, demonstrating sound judgement and responsible risk management.
- Report all risk events / incidents / issues using the defined process for your business area and help to understand why these happened and how to prevent them in future.
- Proactively look for ways to improve the control environment by considering what could go wrong in the processes you operate and how errors could be prevented.
- Continuous and proactive engagement with regulatory bodies, unions where applicable
- All mandatory training completed to deadline
- Analytical thinking and judgment.
- Change, financial and business management.
- Information gathering.
- Computer literacy specifically high competency in Excel spread sheets.
- Good understanding of BRAINS
- Managing relationships.
- Business aware & proactive.
- Presentation/communication skills.
- Performance climate.
Business Manager & MI Job Vacancy at ABSA Bank Tanzania Limited
Knowledge, Expertise and Experience
Knowledge and Expertise (relating to specialist knowledge and expertise required to undertake the role. May include knowledge of the Bank’s products, services and policies) Strong analytical and diagnostic skills
The jobholder will require a wide range of knowledge to effectively perform the role including:
- Strong business planning and financial management skills.
- Strong analytical and diagnostic skills.
- Good presentation and communication skills.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines without compromising accuracy.
- Good understanding of BB product dynamics and pricing structures.
- Appreciation of BB business risk profile.
- Good understanding of Absa Financial reporting structure and financial processes.
- Strong team player with good interpersonal skills.
- Good understanding of performance dynamics management processes and techniques.
- Good PC /system skills.
Understanding of the domestic economic and industry trends
Experience, qualifications, and other requirements specific to the role
- Experience in and/or understanding of Financial Services environment (e.g., Absa Financial Reporting framework and/or experience of managing P&L and Balance Sheet performance.
- Experience in and/or understanding of Business Banking environment with good understanding of BB products, deal structuring, pricing structures and relationship management.
- Experience in financial and business analysis and management and general awareness of the Tanzanian economic landscape and how this affects BB business.
- Graduate caliber with business university degree (preferably finance or accounting) with other relevant professional qualifications.
Key Issues over the next 12-24 months
- Proactive GAP Analysis of BB business relationship portfolios with a view to improving on customer relationship plans to increase our wallet share.
- Improvement of BB income collection and cost management processes.
- Improvement of BB MI development that supports BB strategy and drives performance.
- Improving BB PD performance measurement processes embracing tenets of equity, accuracy, and objectivity in the process.
Additional details of exceptional aspects of the demands of the role
Absa Behaviours: of particular importance to this role
- Drive Performance
- Delight Customers
- Build Pride and Passion
- Execute at Speed
- Grow Talent and Capability
- Protect and Enhance our Reputation
Additional critical qualities:
- Proactive to detail, anticipatory and futuristic about business drivers.
- Passionate about delivering performance
Absa Values and Behaviors represent the set of standards which governs the actions of all of us who work for the bank and against which the performance of every one of us in Absa are being assessed and rewarded:
- I drive high performance to achieve sustainable results
- I’m obsessed with customer
- I have an African heartbeat
- I believe our people are our strengths
Agreed by Current Job Holder
Agreed by Line Manager
Co-signed by HR Manager
National Diplomas and Advanced Certificates: Business, Commerce and Management Studies (Required)
To apply for this job please visit absa.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com.