Environmental Management and Economic Development Organization
Communication Officer Job Vacancy at EMEDO
Environmental Management and Economic Development Organization (EMEDO) is a not for profit organization, that was founded in the year 2005 and acquired its official registration in November 2006, under the Non-Governmental Organization Act of year 2002 with registration number OONGO/1771, to operate in the mainland Tanzania. In its implementation, the organization focuses on enhancing capacities of communities to get organized, having their voices heard, rights recognized and respected and to influence local, national and international policies that affect their rights of access, use and control of natural resources for improved livelihoods.
In April 2022, EMEDO signed an agreement to collaborate with the Royal national Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) to implement the Lake Victoria Drowning Prevention Project (LVDPP) in seven selected communities in Muleba, Musoma, Ukerewe and Nyamagana Districts. The idea to develop this project stems from the RNLI-funded research (2018) which showed that of 86 drowning deaths in 8 communities around the lake, 70 were fishers. Using learning from a 2021 RNLI socio-economic study of drowning risk and links to fishing practices, processing and sales, the project will co-design, develop and pilot drowning prevention solutions with the 7 communities. The project will employ a Human Centered Design approach to give voice to those left behind, reduce drowning risk, address marginalization and other inequalities, especially gender, and improve livelihoods. Impact will be amplified through a national drowning prevention network.
The Project is implemented within 36 months’ period to bring about real change within the communities, building their resilience to drowning through specific actions at the local and national levels. It envisions stakeholders to take appropriate measures to reduce drowning in artisanal fishing communities around Lake Victoria by 2025.
To facilitate smooth implementation of this project, EMEDO wishes to recruit qualified, experienced, motivated and dynamic individuals in the following positions available;
Job Title: Communication Officer
Work station: Mwanza
Reporting to: Advocacy lead/Program manager
Duration: 12 Months / Renewable (full time)
Roles and Responsibilities
- Plan, manage and evaluate communications works that favorably impact the views of the community, opinion of leaders and stakeholders
- Maintain and develop a contact list of journalists and media outlets and manage the regular flow of news/information about LVDPP work to the media, ensuring reputational risks are identified and managed.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitoring the management of communications specific risks.
- Ensure EMEDO website is updated
- Support to design and develop communication messages for fishers, children and and relevant stakeholders
- Media monitoring – Conduct quarterly media monitoring (on social and traditional media) for references to EMEDO and project activities.
- Create and produce internal newsletters for the project and organization.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with journalists in multiple types of media outlets.
- Design communication and promotional materials for the organization i.e. banners, blog post, press release and social media contents
- Prepare and manage the organization’s communication plan
Requirement and Key competencies and skills
- Good oral and written communication Skills-English language being added advantage
- Excellent Computer application
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, international relations, public relations, journalism or other relevant field.
- Very good communication skills, also technically. Excellent knowledge and use of the various communications tools and platforms of a digital world and social media.
- Understands the trends and sensitivities of the conservation sector in Tanzania Minimum of one years working experience
How to Apply:
Submit your CV and job application letter describing your skills and experiences related to the job to firstname.lastname@example.org before 24 January 2024.
All documents should be in one PDF .