WeWorld is the app that connects you to people in different countries.
Report to: Head of Regional Unit
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Type of contract: a 5 (five) months collaboration contract
Starting date: ASAP
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile.
Application deadline: 06/04/2023
Family Duty Station: YES
WeWorld, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision. At present, the main donors are Italy (AICS), the EU (DG ECHO), UNICEF, OCHA, and Belgium (DGD).
WeWorld has been working in Tanzania since 2010 in the areas of promotion of access to basic education, protection, health/nutrition, water and sanitation services and rural energy facility. WeWorld has been implementing different school-centered programs in Dar es Salaam and in Ludewa district (Njombe region), reaching almost 25,000 beneficiaries, mainly children, adolescents, parents and school personnel. The programs adopt a multisectoral approach to respond to the different needs of children and simultaneously strengthening community care structures to create better conditions for ensuring children’s wellbeing and protection. WeWorld works in partnership with Local Authorities and it is an active member of TENMET, the Tanzania Education Network, supporting the achievement of the “Education For All” goals. In Dar es Salaam, WeWorld has been also supporting, since 2017, a Center which provides Open Distance Learning program (ODL) and social reintegration support to children and youth, survivors of violence – including trafficking and sexual abuse – who remain marginalized and deprived of their basic rights to education and life opportunities.
View also : Policy & Government Relations Advisor – Africa Job Vacancy at Nature Conservancy
Since March 2020, WeWorld is implementing a project in the regions of Kigoma, Mbeya and Mtwara, co-funded by the European Union, which aims at enhancing the capacity of Civil Society Organizations and media to ensure that all citizens, with particular focus on women and youth, are free to express themselves and have equal access to reliable and independent information and knowledge on fundamental freedoms.
Country Representative Tanzania (ad interim) Job Vacancy at WeWorld
Purpose of the Role
The Country Representative directs organizational programmes at the country level ensuring quality of the activity in Tanzania, from development through execution, included budget management and Human Resources Management (international and National Staff). He/She identifies programming opportunities and areas where the organization can demonstrate its value and relevance. S/he develops relations with different stakeholders and represents the organization to donors, ministries and local government authorities, local partners, and s/he is responsible for the security management in the country.
The Country Representative will work under the supervision of the Head of Regional Unit and in cooperation with the Desk Officer.
Main functions and duties
Programme Management and Development
- Ensure that WeWorld in Tanzania complies with the local legislation and the requirements for the NGOs operating in the country.
- Supervise the child sponsorship programme (LDSP), ensuring that the sponsorship campaigns are carried out according to the timetable and the procedures of WeWorld (Child Sponsorships Manual), in collaboration with the LDSP Manager and the LDSP Officer and with the HQ.
- Lead the development and implementation of high-quality country strategic plan relevant to the local context and the organizational priorities.
- Lead and oversee the grants acquisition of new projects in the country, ensuring a long-term portfolio and achievement of annual targets.
- Lead, guide and supervise the project managers and partners’ coordinators on performance and quality control, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the projects to ensure the effective and efficient execution of project deliverables, in compliance with WeWorld standards.
- Lead and oversee the preparation and implementation of programme documents (including SOPs, policy briefs, Programme plans and Risk Assessments).
- Oversee the financial and logistic sustainability of programs and operations through effective and efficient resources development effort, outstanding financial ratios, effective budget administration and procurement management (i.e. management and maintenance of project assets and regular inventories).
- Assist the HQ to maintain public/media/donor relations to actively engage their interest/support in promoting and communicating WeWorld achievements, competencies and interest at global level.
Representation and advocacy
- Represent WeWorld in the Country in various fora on programmatic and technical issues, strategic meetings, conferences, forums and other public events and contribute towards consolidating and raising the profile of the organization.
- Engage and liaise with relevant national-level stakeholders (government representatives, donors, CSOs, networks, communities).
- Identify, engage and strengthen strategic in-country partnerships in line with WeWorld Country Strategic Plan and Regional Strategies.
- Identify additional areas of synergy and cooperation with donors, other NGOs, UN agencies and relevant institutions.
- Promote WeWorld’s organizational identity and capacity towards all stakeholders and partners in Tanzania and ensure WeWorld remains relevant to the changing needs of disadvantaged people in the country.
- Establish priorities, in consultation with the Head of Regional office, for targeted investments in growth and innovation, contribute to the identification and implementation of innovation and continuous improvement, in support of organizational excellence and world-class performance.
- Coordinate with HQ, maintaining frequent contact with the Desk Officers, partners as well as relevant donors, in order to keep a regular update on the implementation of the project and to develop strategic planning.
View also: Intern – Policy and Government Relations ( Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa & Zambia) Vacancy at Nature Conservancy
- Identify and plan human resources needs (International and National).
- Direct and manage staff in the country, ensuring development of appropriate capabilities and competencies according to the strategic and operational needs of projects/programs.
- Ensure transparent, equal and inclusive management and training of human resources in accordance with the policy and procedures, and all regulatory requirements (WeWorld, host country legislation and donor’s policy).
- Foster an inclusive and diverse work environment and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
Country Representative Tanzania (ad interim) Job Vacancy at WeWorld
- Coordinate in the design, testing and communications of appropriate security and safety plans and programmes.
- Identify risks and threats in the areas of intervention in coordination with security officers of other NGOS/UN agencies.
- Develop and document emergency preparedness and disaster evacuation plans and programmes.
The duties and responsibilities set forth above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to perform additional duties.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management, Human Rights.
- Ability to assess needs, develop and write new project proposal.
- Good knowledge of MS Office.
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal.
View also: Office Support Specialist Job Vacancy at Peace Corps
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant working experience in related fields.
- Working experience with international NGOs in management of international cooperation projects funded by institutions, private donors and sponsorship programs.
- Extensive project development and proposal writing experience.
- Experience in Budget management and financial reporting.
- Experience in Security Management.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong managerial competencies and good knowledge of Sponsorship Programs and main international donors’ policies and procedures.
- Strong flexibility and capacity to adapt behavior to the needs of the situation.
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers/leaders.
- Good communication, negotiation skills and sensitivity in dealing with local institutions on critical issues.
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Strong commitment to the Mission of WeWorld, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics.
- Knowledge and experience in the protection and/or education sector.
- Previous experience in similar positions.
- Previous work experience in Tanzania/Africa
- Fluent in Italian, both written and verbal.
How to Apply :
To apply for this job please visit weworld.intervieweb.it.