Website Nature Conservancy
A World Where People & Nature Thrive
Digital Communications and Social Media Manager – Africa Region Job Vacancy at Nature Conservancy.
Who We Are:
The Nature Conservancy’s (TNC) mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which include a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there are a lot of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want better insight into TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube or on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
Since establishing the Africa Program in 2007, TNC’s vision in Africa is to work towards fostering a sustainable future for people and nature, partnering with indigenous communities, governments, and the private sector across more than 22 million hectares on the continent. Our efforts are firmly rooted in people, leveraging scientific and technical expertise as we collaborate with key stakeholders to conserve and enhance Africa’s shared resources in the countries we operate. Together with our partners, we are witnessing critical milestones in integrated land and fisheries management, ocean and source water protection, energy development, and sustainable food production, working together and strengthening our resolve in tackling global challenges such as climate change, habitat, and biodiversity loss that stand to adversely impact the nearly 1.4 billion people that share Africa.
Marketing and Communications are pivotal in the Africa Program, developing compelling impact stories for conservation deliverables across diverse landscapes. Communications apply multifaceted approaches to raise the visibility of The Nature Conservancy in Africa as a thought leader and partner of choice toward achieving our 2030 goals, and the continent’s vision of a prosperous and wild Africa. Marketing and Communications, design strategies and campaigns to engage key target audiences who can positively influence conservation action, policy, and practices so that TNC can meet its positive future vision for nature and people.
What We Can Achieve Together:
TNC is investing in a systematic and structured approach to conceptualize, design, and implement large landscape-level conservation frameworks that are durable and equitable, and link community-based conservation, protected area management, and national-level biodiversity conservation and climate ambitions. TNC pursues conservation finance and funding options for these scenarios across freshwater, ocean, and terrestrial ecosystems to protect and sustainably manage critical habitats for species, ecosystems, and carbon stocks.
TNC works with communities, governments, and non-governmental partners to design mechanisms that provide long-term support to large landscape conservation programs. These programs are designed to significantly contribute to the lasting protection of important natural ecosystems to achieve biodiversity, climate change, and human well-being objectives.
The Digital Communications and Social Media Manager leads in developing and implementing an integrated digital and social media communications strategy to help drive organizational goals, and objectives that build engagement, influence conservation action, and achieves awareness goals. They develop creative digital communications products to promote TNC’s conservation science, tools, and solutions to reach priority target audiences, in service of and catalytic for conservation outcomes. Partners with department directors and senior-level staff to engage stakeholders in key strategy and communications-based operational decisions.
The Digital Communications and Social Media Manager supports the Africa Region Marketing and Communications team in the implementation of TNC’s global campaigns and initiatives and ensures that they are localized, packaged, and optimized. They have knowledge of industry best practices and trends across all new and emerging social and digital platforms, as well as know-how to deploy strategies successfully.
The Digital Communications and Social Media Manager coordinates digital marketing projects and ongoing digital work such as developing the digital marketing plan, digital campaigns, and content for social media channels and will be the Marketing & Communications liaison for targeted country programs and strategies. The ideal candidate is forward-thinking, detail-oriented, hard-working, driven by high-quality work, and very knowledgeable of main digital tools and platforms. They have strong writing skills in English and experience in content development, copywriting, editing, and proofreading messages for targeted audiences
They will work closely with a TNC network of experts across the business unit who will provide guidance on key messaging and targeted audience. They will work with external contractors, global teams, vendors, and other key stakeholders to ensure the delivery of communications projects that contribute to a positive service relationship.
This position can be based at any location in Africa where TNC has an office. This position may work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances. May require frequent travel domestically and/or internationally and evening and weekend hours.
We’re Looking for You:
Are you looking to further your career in support of nature and people? Guided by science, TNC creates innovative and durable solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that people and nature can thrive together.
We’re looking for someone who is passionate, creative, and a problem solver. By joining our regional Africa team, you will become part of a group that is a force to be reckoned with a force for nature, a force for people, and a force for our planet. Our team consists of a dedicated group leading the conservation effort on multiple fronts and expertly bringing strategy and action together. Join us!
ROLE SCOPE & KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops the TNC Africa Digital Communications, Social-Media, and Campaigns Strategy and leads efforts to grow the digital presence of the Africa program (TNC’s main website, TNC Africa’s social media channels) and build a robust community of social media followers
- Implements the social media strategy, campaigns, and initiatives consistent with the overall brand strategy, across TNC Africa’s pages, and those of priority TNC Africa spokespersons,
- Coordinates the day-to-day operation of digital and social media channels for TNC Africa (including publishing content, community management, and digital/social media advertising)
- Develops reports and analyzes results, identifies opportunities, and provides recommendations for future initiatives
- Executes communication assets including content development, social media, and other initiatives for TNC in the region
- Implements detailed, forward-looking editorial calendars for online channels according to priorities and initiatives to promote projects by TNC Africa
- Revitalizes existing digital marketing efforts and develops new opportunities for engagement with supporters and influencers
- Supports implementation of social media campaigns coming from priority global conservation initiatives, working collaboratively with other organizational departments (e.g philanthropy, membership, conservation) to ensure optimal representation of TNC Africa in global TNC campaigns
- Coordinates with the analytics team to determine content effectiveness, execute reporting and optimize content based on performance
Digital Communications and Social Media Manager – Africa Region Job Vacancy at Nature Conservancy
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in communication or related field and a minimum 7 years’ related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Expertise in social media strategy, copywriting, content creation, and analytics
- Experience developing and implementing social media strategies and compelling content with high engagement
- Experience managing and implementing media strategies and measuring results.
- Experience in project management, developing communications, social media campaigns and engagement strategies, and measuring results.
- Experience writing or editing one or more of the following newsletters, magazines, annual reports, website articles/stories, donor profiles, campaign brochures, fact sheets, presentations, or equivalent
- Experience in Zoom Webinar, Instagram, Facebook, Khoros, Adobe Experience Manager, and Blackbaud or similar packages.
- Experience working with current Marketing and Communications trends, and practices and conceiving and implementing strategic, and creative initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to creatively develop content for diverse and inclusive audiences including experience in translating complex scientific or technical content into compelling communications
- Experience working in a global, decentralized organization a plus
- Experience working in communications between NGO, corporate, and governmental organizations
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment, and has experience working with many internal and external partners simultaneously
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experiences are appreciated
- Expert knowledge of current and evolving trends in relevant marketing disciplines.
- Working knowledge of Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, TikTok, YouTube, and SEO
- Ability to foster an environment of creativity and professional growth.
What We Bring:
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, Pension/ Gratuity, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, and other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work environment that is supportive of the health, well-being, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
This description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required for this job.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and cultures. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colours, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, gender identities, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line
To apply for this job please visit careers.nature.org.