Belgian Development Agency
Education Intervention Officer Job Vacancy at Enabel
Final date for application: 22 November 2023
Education Intervention Officer (m/f/x) – Tanzania
Enabel is the Belgian development agency. Our mission is to build a sustainable world where all live under the rule of law and are free to thrive. With our partners, we offer solutions addressing pressing global challenges – Climate Change, Social and Economic Inequalities, Urbanisation, Peace and Security, Human Mobility – and promoting Global Citizenship.
We have over 20 years’ experience in areas ranging from education and health care to agriculture, environmental protection, digitalisation, employment and governance. Enabel’s expertise is eagerly sought-after by partners around the globe – ranging from the Belgian government, European Union institutions, governments of other countries and the private sector. We work with civil society, research institutes as well as businesses and we foster fruitful interaction between development policy and other areas.
With over 2,100 staff, Enabel manages more than 200 projects in more than twenty countries, in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
The new portfolio for Enabel Bilateral Cooperation Program in Tanzania 2023-2027 was approved end of June 2023 by the Belgian Minister of Development Cooperation, with a planned duration of 5 years (2023-2027) and an overall budget of 25 million euros.
The general objective of the strategy has been defined as follows: “Young people especially young women, are empowered to thrive in a protective and gender-equal environment, to acquire education and skills, and to pursue decent work opportunities in Kigoma Region”.
The specific objective further specifies: “Girls and young women (14 to 29 years), in targeted districts of Kigoma, are empowered, access multiple conducive learning pathways and enjoy decent and green employment and entrepreneurship”.
The strategy 2023-2027 has initially been built around three main thematic pillars: secondary education and training opportunities; skills and entrepreneurship; a protective and gender-equal environment. For the period 2023-2027, Enabel developed an integrated approach fully focused on girls and young women through three results areas of the same holistic intervention as defined below:
- Result area 1 is focusing on secondary education for vulnerable youth with a special focus on girls.
- Result area 2 is dedicated to skills development and entrepreneurship, with the ambition to increase opportunities for decent employment of young people, specifically women, through skills development, entrepreneurship promotion and business development support.
- Result area 3 is focusing on supporting a protective and gender-equal environment. It will contribute to tackle the discriminatory social norms and structural barriers that girls and young women face in their family, in their community, in the educative and professional spheres, so that girls and young women benefit from the same chances to continue their education and seize increasing remunerative economic opportunities.
This position is linked to the Result area 1, and specifically to improve learning achievement and prevent dropout because of failures at Form II and Form IV examinations, efforts need to be made to improve the quality of teaching and effectiveness of learning through investing in teachers, in their Continuing Professional Development (CPD), in didactic materials and tools and through creating opportunities for students to access a wider variety of learning materials, both physical and online.
The Education Intervention Officer, reports to the Quality Education Expert, and contributes to the implementation of the project activities of the Secondary Education result area in order to improve quality of secondary education in more conducive learning environments contributes to more effective learning.
The Education Intervention Officer will be mainly in charge of the preparation, support and follow-up of specific activities in support of result 1.2, with as main tasks:
- Planning, coordination, technical support, guidance and monitoring of the delivery of training of teacher trainers at the Kasulu Teachers Training College (TTC) by the selected implementing partner.
- Planning, coordination, technical support, guidance and monitoring of the roll-out of the blended trajectory of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) of teachers in targeted schools by the Kasulu Teachers Training College.
- Planning, coordination, technical support, guidance and monitoring of the co-creation of both physical and digital training and teaching & learning materials, in close collaboration with the Digital Expert of the programme; ensuring synergies and linkages with the capacity building activities.
- Planning, coordination and guidance of the assessment of needs for didactic materials in schools; monitoring delivery and distribution and the proper use of procured materials;
- Planning, coordination and guidance of the roll-out of didactic materials developed through co-creation; promoting and ensuring appropriate utilisation of those materials;
- Closely collaborate with the Digital Expert (and the potential Junior Expert in Digital for Development (D4D) in matters of digital applications in material development, digital access to materials, the training of digital skills and the provision/upgrading of basic digital devices in selected pilot schools and the Kasulu Teachers Training College.
- Advise and guide a potential Junior Expert who will be contributing to Digital for Education (D4E).
Expected results of the function:
- Detailed planning, monitoring and reporting of implementation of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) initiatives at Kasulu TTC
- Detailed planning, monitoring and reporting of implementation of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) initiatives in 25 targeted schools
- Delivery of existing didactic materials to 25 targeted schools
- Co-creation of training and teaching and learning materials including digital materials
- Technical inputs to all activities under result 1.2, which also includes life skills education and extra-curricular clubs/activities.
- Guarantee internal coherence within the program, align and integrate Result Area 1 (Education) with Result Area 2 (increased access to decent and green employment) and Result Area 3 (gender).
Education Intervention Officer Job Vacancy at Enabel
Required Qualification and Experience.
- A Tanzanian
- A Master’s degree in Pedagogy/Educational Sciences or relevant human/social sciences degree with Teaching Diploma.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in training/capacity building (of teachers/trainers)
- Experience in the development of teaching and learning resources.
Specific competences or knowledge considered an asset:
- Knowledge of active pedagogy methodologies
- Experience with blended learning trajectories
- Experience with work-based learning
- Experience with development of learning and teaching materials
- Familiarity with Digital for Education (D4E)
- Interpersonal and intercultural communication skills
- Monitoring and evaluation skills
- Strong sense of innovation and creativity
- Capacity for reporting
- Networking and communication skills
- Experience in the Kigoma region is a major asset
- Experience as a teacher’s trainer is an asset
We offer you
- A fascinating and interesting job in an international environment.
- A definite period contract of 48 months
- You are based in Kigoma, with frequent travels to Kasulu and targeted schools across 5 targeted districts
- You are employed by Enabel in the function of “Education Intervention Officer”. A salary package that comprises the monthly gross salary, in accordance with our salary scales (Class 5), and more benefits such as health care insurance, 13th month, holiday allowance and if applicable reallocation allowance.
- Relevant recognized experience for the function will be valorized.
Following this recruitment procedure, a shortlist of successful applicants may be constituted which may be sourced in the next three years for similar job openings.
Every person who fulfils the conditions listed in our job advertisements may apply. Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate based on gender, origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or any other factor other than competence.
Are you interested?
Apply here on-line with an application letter and your updated CV, at the latest by 22nd November 2023.
Only applications that are registered here via our on-line portal will be considered.
If you do not hear from us in 4 weeks’ time after the closing date, please consider you have been unsuccessful.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.enabel.be.