Website Geita Gold Mining Ltd
Geita Gold Mine is an open pit gold mine located in the Geita District of the Geita Region of Tanzania. It is operated by AngloGold Ashanti.
Engineer 2 – OP Geotech Job Vacancy at Geita Gold Mining Ltd.
ABOUT GEITA GOLD MINING LTD
Geita Gold Mining Ltd (GGML) is Tanzania’s leading gold producer with a single operation in Geita Region. The company is a subsidiary of AngloGold Ashanti, an international gold producer headquartered in South Africa, with operations in more than ten countries, in four continents. The mine is situated in the Lake Victoria Gold fields of Northwestern Tanzania, only about 85 km’s from Mwanza City and 20 km’s Southeast of the nearest point of Lake Victoria. The company has its head office in Geita, only 5 Km’s west of the fast-growing town of Geita, and also a supporting office in Dar es Salaam. Applications are invited from ambitious, energetic and performance driven individuals to fill in vacant position(s) mentioned below:
Position: Engineer 2 – OP Geotech
Contract type & Duration: Unspecified time contract
Department: Technical Services
Reporting to: Superintendent 2 – OP Geotech
Number of Positions: One (1)
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
To undertake collection of relevant geotechnical data and assist in providing slope and bench geotechnical design recommendations for the assigned open pit mine(s). Assist in reflective use of relevant geotechnical data to undertake short to medium term slope and ore bench evaluations and resolve mining related geotechnical problems for the assigned open pit mine(s). Assist in implementing applicable risk management systems to ensure short to medium term safe operation for the assigned open pit mine(s).
- An undergraduate degree in Geotechnical Engineering, Engineering Geology, Geology, or equivalent is essential.
- Post graduate diploma or degree in geotechnical engineering if first degree is not in geotechnical or engineering geology field.
- GGML is an equal opportunity employer: Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- 3-5 years of geotechnical or engineering geology experience in open pit environments.
- The incumbent must have working knowledge of geotechnical data gathering, analysis, interpretation, modeling, design and quality assurance techniques and must be able to perform tasks with minimal supervision. A good understanding of hydrogeology and ground stability mitigation is essential.
MAIN OR KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Open Pit Geotechnical Data Collection.
- Undertake timely collection of open pit geotechnical data from various sources and ensuring that collected data meets the required quality standards.
- Assist in ensuring data collection for investigating ground conditions is current.
- Undertake data validation on all collected geotechnical data prior to use in analysis. Assist in the undertaking of timely analysis and interpretation of all geotechnical data.
- Assist in generating, reconciling and updating 3D geotechnical models of ground conditions.
- Assist in compiling and issuing of mapping release updates.
Slope design Evaluation.
- Undertake slope stability assessment using the recommended techniques or methodologies.
- Assist in assessing annual and LOM plans to advise on the safest mining sequence using numerical modelling.
- Assist in completion of performance analysis, using various geotechnical engineering software or otherwise for sub-surface excavations and open pit mine structures.
Open Pit Support and Fall of Ground Risk Mitigation.
- Undertake assessment of the risks posed by poor ground conditions and presence of adverse geological structures to the working bench levels.
- Assist in developing slope stabilization systems using engineered rock mechanic principles.
- Assist in generating and timely communicating slope stabilization requirements and safe access controls in the affected areas.
- Assist in monitoring the implementation of the mitigation measures to ensure compliance to required standards.
Open Pit Excavation Monitoring.
- Conducting open pit inspections, ensuring slope stability control management programmes are in place and maintained in line with geotechnical best practice and standards.
- Cooperate and work effectively with team members as well as other departments to address ground stability control issues and provide solutions to mitigate risks.
Participating in Geotechnical Review Panels and External Audits.
- Assist in preparation of requested data for the assigned open pit mine(s) and answering queries that may arise from the data.
- Assist in implementing actions within the agreed timeframe.
Training of Open Pit Technicians.
- Provide assistance in assessing the skills gap of support technicians with regard to open pit geotechnical management
- Assist in implementing appropriate training programs to close the identified skills gaps in a timely manner.
Engineer 2 – OP Geotech Job Vacancy at Geita Gold Mining Ltd
- Learn and follow the Safety requirements related to your work.
- Consider what could go wrong and what needs to be done to work safely before starting a task.
- Speak up if you think a task cannot be done safely.
- Continually look for new hazards in the workplace and report them to your supervisor.
- Talk to your supervisor when you are not fit for work.
- Suggest ways to improve Safety performance
- Promptly report all injuries, illnesses and incidents
- Help others to work safely.
- Advanced understanding and application of Geotechnical Data Collection methodologies
- Advanced understanding and application of rock mass classification and data reduction/analysis
- Advanced understanding and application of Geotechnical Risk Management
- Advanced understanding of Soil and Rock Testing and Analysis techniques
- Good understanding and application of Open Pit Mine Geomechanics
- Good understanding and application of Slope Stability Analysis techniques
- Good understanding and application of Slope Monitoring and Stability Management techniques
- Basic understanding of hydrogeological investigation and dewatering techniques
- Basic understanding of open pit production drilling and blasting techniques
- Basic understanding and application of Investigation techniques for Failures, Incidents and Accidents
- Principles of supervision.
- Communication systems (internal prioritising and feedback meetings, written info distribution)
MODE OF APPLICATION:
- Please apply by clicking APPLY button below.
- On the portal you will be required to upload your detailed CV, copies of relevant certificates, e- mail and telephone contacts, names and addresses of three referees. Please do not attach certificates that are not related to the qualifications stated above.
- You will also be required to upload a cover / application letter addressed to “Senior Manager Human Resources”, Geita Gold Mining Ltd”. Subject should be “Engineer 2 – OP Geotech”
- If you struggle to apply via the link provided, please head over to our website https://www.geitamine.com/en/people/ for a step-by-step guide on how to apply for jobs on our recruitment portal (SuccessFactors).
- You will be required to present original certificates if you are contacted for interviews.
- Internal Applicants (those currently employed by AngloGold Ashanti) must have their application letter endorsed by their Head of Department (HOD) or Manager once Removed (MoR).
- Applications should reach the above on or before 31st September 2022 at 5:30 Pm
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
NOTE ON COVID-19 PREVENTION:
- Please note when you are invited for interviews, you will be required to present proof of vaccination against COVID-19 (Covid-19 vaccination certificate) or if you are not vaccinated, please go for a Covid-19 test and obtain a 96 – hour valid PCR Covid-19 negative certificate.
- You are also advised to adhere to all recommended prevention measures including proper wearing of face masks and washing or sanitizing your hands before you are allowed through Geita Gold Mine entry points.
BEWARE OF CONMEN! GGML does not receive money in exchange for a job position. Should you be asked for money in exchange for a job offer or suspect such activity, please report this immediately to our Security Department, Investigation Unit, by calling +255 28 216 01 40 Ext 1559 (rates apply) or use our whistle-blowing channels by sending an SMS to +27 73 573 8075 (SMS rates apply) or emailing email@example.com or use the internet at www.tip-offs.com
The deadline for submitting the application is 1 September 2022.
Recommended: Read our Job Tips Here to enhance your Application
To apply for this job please visit career5.successfactors.eu.