United Nations Industrial Development Organization
Field Project Team Assistant Job Vacancy at UNIDO
Requisition ID: 1056
Grade : SB2 – Local support
Country: Tanzania, united republic of
Duty Station : Dar-es-Salaam
Category: Local Support Personnel
Type of job Posting: Internal and External
Employment Type: NonStaff-Regular
Duration (tentative): 3 months
Application deadline: 26-Sep-2022
TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT OF PROJECT PERSONNEL
Only nationals or permanent residents of the country of the duty station are considered eligible.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of UNIDO, as described in the Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013 as well as the Abu Dhabi Declaration adopted at the eighteenth session of UNIDO General Conference in 2019, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development. UNIDO’s mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to “Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation”. The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organization’s programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities: Creating shared prosperity; Advancing economic competitiveness; Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions.
Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDO’s four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
The Directorate of Digitalization, Technology and Agri-Business (DTA), headed by a Managing Director, coordinates and mainstreams the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in its technical cooperation, strategic, normative activities aiming at fostering the inclusive and sustainable development in the era of 4IR. The Directorate creates new and innovative technical cooperation deliverables in the areas of trade, investment, technology innovation and agro-industry and agri-business. The Directorate comprises the Department of Digitalization, Technology and Innovation (DTI) and the Department of Agri-Business (AGR).
Responding to the growing demand for supporting inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in the era of the new industrial revolution, the Department of Digitalization, Technology and Innovation (DTA/DTI) leads the way in addressing opportunities, challenges and risks stemming from the fourth industrial revolution (4IR) and its contribution to sustainable socio-economic progress. The Department is responsible for the strategic coordination of 4IR-related matters with designated focal points in other technical Departments and organizational entities of UNIDO, as appropriate. In consultation with public and private partners, DTI designs and implements holistic interventions that are tailored to specific country needs. The Department’s interventions actively identify and combine complementary services from across three Divisions, namely:
- Innovation and Digitalization Division (DTA/DTI/IDD)
- Investment and Technology Promotion Division (DTA/DTI/ITP)
- Quality Infrastructure and Smart Production Division (DTA/DTI/QIS)
This position is located under the Innovation and Digitalization Division (DTA/DTI/IDD), which promotes digital transformation and innovation ecosystems building, to advance the economic competitiveness of developing countries by helping them to benefit from the rapid progress of digital and convergent technologies associated to the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) and ensuring a smooth transition towards cyber-physical industrial systems and a smart society.
PROJECT CONTEXT: (Project ID 200212)
In the global fight to overcome the COVID-19 virus, UNIDO joins the response efforts of the international community, including the United Nations system and counterpart governments across the world, to address this crisis. UNIDO has been implementing a range of measures responding to the emergency to mitigate the strain on the livelihood of the people, and in particular, to recover from the socio-economic shock.
The overall objective of the proposed UNIDO project is to promote public health and social resilience against COVID-19 by strengthening the domestic supply chains of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), disinfectants, and hand hygiene supplies.
To achieve the aforementioned objective, this project will build the national capacity of the production through upgrading relevant domestic producers, material suppliers, and supportive public organizations in terms of 1) production capacity, 2) quality, and 3) business resilience and continuity in case of emergency situations. Importantly, the project will provide not only short-term assistance for the people, hospitals, and medical institutions, who are currently in need of improved access to PPE, disinfectants, and hand hygiene supplies, but its successful implementation will also contribute to medium- and long-term humanitarian development of the country and region by anchoring stable public health and bringing stability to both economic activities and the livelihood of the people, while sustaining employment and sources of the livelihood of the people by underpinning the domestic production sector.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager(s) at UNIDO headquarters and day-to-day operational work coordination with the National Project Coordinator (NPC) as well as the UNIDO Field Office in Tanzania, the Field Project Team Assistant provides support in the project and related project activities as well as other supportive and administrative tasks at the field-level and is responsible for the following key functions:
- Administrative and logistical support for the arrangements of various field-level project events (such as workshops, conferences, training, etc.), data collection, research for field-level information and reference materials;
- Assist in preparing for appointments, requests/documents, e.g.: local service quotations, travel requests/authorizations, visa applications, etc.;
- Screen incoming mail and draft replies for the project team; provide relevant background/project information whenever necessary to supervisor(s) and the project team; keep track of pending matters, follow up with other offices on deadlines;
- Draft routine correspondence (both on TC-related and administrative matters); and put them into adequate style, language and format; proofread documents and edit texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style in accordance with standard practices and in compliance with the UNIDO Correspondence Manual;
- Assist in monitoring the field-level communication and team actions related to the project (e.g.: support monitoring the progress and communication with individual beneficiaries in the field activities);
- Support to maintain files (both paper and electronic) and documents related to the field-level project activities;
- Draw the supervisor’s/project team’s attention to problems and potential risks encountered at the field level, support results-based management through accurate data collection and reporting;
- Perform any other related duties as assigned.
Field Project Team Assistant Job Vacancy at UNIDO
- WE LIVE AND ACT WITH INTEGRITY: work honestly, openly and impartially.
- WE SHOW PROFESSIONALISM: work hard and competently in a committed and responsible manner.
- WE RESPECT DIVERSITY: work together effectively, respectfully and inclusively, regardless of our differences in culture and perspective.
- WE FOCUS ON PEOPLE: cooperate to fully reach our potential –and this is true for our colleagues as well as our clients. Emotional intelligence and receptiveness are vital parts of our UNIDO identity.
- WE FOCUS ON RESULTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: focus on planning, organizing and managing our work effectively and efficiently. We are responsible and accountable for achieving our results and meeting our performance standards. This accountability does not end with our colleagues and supervisors, but we also owe it to those we serve and who have trusted us to contribute to a better, safer and healthier world.
- WE COMMUNICATE AND EARN TRUST: communicate effectively with one another and build an environment of trust where we can all excel in our work.
- WE THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND INNOVATE: To stay relevant, we continuously improve, support innovation, share our knowledge and skills, and learn from one another.
MINIMUM ORGANIZATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Completed higher secondary education (high school diploma or equivalent) is required.
Degrees in science, business management, economics or other relevant disciplines focusing on business process and management are desirable. Formal administrative/secretarial/clerical training or equivalent, is desirable.
Technical and Functional Experience:
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in the related fields of the post, is required.
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel), internet search engines, is required.
- Experience with office procedures and practices, preferably within the UN system or in a multicultural environment, is desirable.
- Experience in project administration, accounting and finance, providing support to managerial/professional staff and using secretarial/administrative skills to assist in the execution of project development and implementation of work, is desirable.
Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Fluency in or working knowledge of Swahili is required.
Fluency in or working knowledge of another official United Nations language, is desirable.
This appointment is limited to the specified project(s) only and does not carry any expectation of renewal.
Employees of UNIDO are expected at all times to uphold the highest standards of integrity, professionalism and respect for diversity, both at work and outside.
Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for jobs at UNIDO.
All applications must be submitted online through the Online Recruitment System. Correspondence will be undertaken only with candidates who are being considered at an advanced phase of the selection process. Selected candidate(s) may be required to disclose to the Director General the nature and scope of financial and other personal interests and assets in respect of themselves, their spouses and dependents, under the procedures established by the Director General.
Visit the UNIDO web site for details on how to apply: www.unido.org
NOTE: The Director General retains the discretion to make an appointment to this post at a lower level.
Notice to applicants:
UNIDO does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. If you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Vacant positions within UNIDO are advertised on the official UNIDO website. Should you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of UNIDO and requesting payment of a fee, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for submitting the application is 26 September 2022.
To apply for this job please visit careers.unido.org.