Website Plan International
Plan International advances children's rights and equality for girls in more than 75 countries
Plan International is an independent child rights and humanitarian organisation committed to children living a life free of poverty, violence and injustice.
We actively unite children, communities and other people who share our mission to make positive lasting changes in children’s and young people’s lives. We support children to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights to a fulfilling life, today and in the future. We place a specific focus on girls and women, who are most often left behind. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan International Tanzania is looking for Gender and Education Officer who will lead the PlayMatters education team in Kibondo to integrate gender throughout the planning, implementation and monitoring of project activities. The project aims at promoting the integration of learning through play approaches in teaching and learning practices targeting children aged 3-12+ years in Nduta and Nyarugusu refugee camps and host communities in the Kigoma region. The project will focus on reaching out to nearly 800,000 pre-primary and primary school aged refugee and host community children impacted by the humanitarian crises in East Africa and living in Ethiopia, Uganda and Tanzania. This project aims to build children’s social, emotional, cognitive, physical and creative skills through play in their homes, schools, and communities and will be implemented in partnership with War Child, International Rescue Committee, Behavioural Insights Team and Innovations for Poverty Action.
The Gender and Education Officer will be fully responsible for timely, efficient, and gender-responsive day-to-day implementation of all project interventions in a bid to achieve the project outcomes aimed at ensuring that: 1) Teachers Integrate Learning through Play into Teaching and Learning; 2) Principal caregivers and community leaders Increase community engagement in Learning through Play; 3) Strengthen Learning through Play in policy and systems.
This position reports to EiE Program Coordinator and will coordinate with Plan International’s PlayMatters Regional Gender Advisor for support and smooth implementation of gender activities. The position holder will be responsible and ultimately accountable for day-to-day implementation of project activities, quality delivery of results, coordination and collaboration and relations with project consortium members, teachers, PTAs, caregivers and community and religious leaders, and other stakeholders at field level. The post holder will also be responsible to ensure that project activities are implemented in a timely and quality manner and in compliance with donor requirements. The Gender and Education Officer will ensure timely data collection and analysis is used in periodic reporting and to inform project activities. S/he will also be responsible for representing Plan International in relevant stakeholders’ meetings such as Education Working Group meetings on camp level and camp coordination meetings such as Town Hall meetings, CCCM, etc.
S/he will demonstrate excellent project management and problem-solving skills, a very high degree of maturity, flexibility, organization and communication skills, and strategic thinking to meet the demands of a dynamic and sometimes unpredictable operating environment while ensuring Plan International’s systems and policies and donor requirements are adhered to, especially gender transformative programming and child and youth safeguarding.
- Program delivery
- Lead and supervise the implementation of all project activities as per the workplan and budget; and programmatic reporting in accordance with donor and Plan International regulations.
- In-charge of supervising daily ECCD activities at their respective ECCD centre.
- Lead the the design and implementation of gender specific and integrative activities.
- Conduct effective Gender and inclusion sessions in relation to LtP approach across all training packages.
- Organize and implement community awareness events and campaigns on the importance of play-based learning and ensure new enrolment and retention of girls in schools.
- Organize and execute distribution of scholastic materials, MHM and Hygiene kits.
- Work closely with operations to ensure timely implementation of planned activities.
- Ensure the implementation of project activities adhere to Plan International’s policies, INEE minimum Standards, ECCD Standard guidelines and SOPs; as well as Core Humanitarian Standards.
- Assess project progress and identify technical quality issues or other implementation issues, provide solutions and implement modifications as required.
- Supervise schools at ward level and ensure all project activities are implemented based on the Plan International standard and quality.
- Provide and coordinate capacity building trainings for incentive workers, staffs and partners on gender integrative approaches and strategies, and inclusion guidelines
- Work with MEAL Coordinator and Officers to undertake gender inclusive assessments in coordination with partners.
- Integrate with outcome coordinators to regularly support and monitor on continuous teacher professional development.
- Support PlayMatters budget development and activity plans for coming years.
- Provide technical assistance to the project team on Gender and Inclusive education.
- Communication, Advocacy, Representation and partnerships
- Support the EiE team and Gender and inclusion aspect when necessary in representing Plan International in sector coordination meetings and inter-agency activities at field level.
- Support the implementation of inter-agency assessments.
- Support the documentation of best practices and lesson leant from project implementation to inform the design of future programs.
- Develop gender dimension briefs and learning materials as per the guidance and support of Gender advisor
- Attend regular virtual meetings with the gender advisor for technical support, learning and progress monitoring
- Maintain active and cooperative relationships with all key stakeholders, including government officials, UN agencies, project partners, other implementing agencies, and related institutions. Support advocacy initiatives through developing briefs, documentation of evidence and impact stories.
- Promote community understanding on the importance on Learning-through-Play.
- Represent Plan International at local and district level meetings and work closely with the advocacy focal point to ensure relevant stakeholders are aware of Plan International EiE Programming.
- Staff Management
- Directly supervise refugee and other incentive workers at their respective ECCD centres and ensuring they adhere to Plan International’s Policies, Code of Conduct and Procedures.
- Report any violations of Plan International’s Code of Conduct and Policies as per Plan International-Tanzania.
- Ensure teachers have professional capacity and gendered understanding to deliver their lessons.
Gender & Education Officer Job Vacancy at Plan International
External – Close collaboration and strong working relationship with project consortium partners and members of the Education Working Group (IRC, Caritas, Save the Children, UNHCR, UNICEF, MHA, District Education Officers) etc. The Gender & Education Officer will also maintain a relationship with local authorities, relevant Government institutions, and UN agencies to ensure Plan’s work is well linked to other initiatives.
Internally– The Gender & Education Officer will report to the EiE Program Coordinator, and S/he will coordinate with Regional Gender Advisor, EiE Officers, Content and Material Development Officer, EiE MEAL department for the implementation of project activities at camp level. S/he will also work closely with Finance Officer, Procurement team, Communications and advocacy team and Human resources team.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in an interdisciplinary area such as Gender and Development Studies, Education, or International Development.
- At least 4 years of demonstrated experience in leading the implementation of donor funded projects with focus on gender, Early Childhood Development and Primary Education programs in Emergency and/or Development contexts.
- Experience with Learning through Play approaches and content development will be considered an added advantage.
- Proven leadership, training, inter-personal and cross-cultural skills, and ability to build and motivate multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with consortium partners.
- Strong understanding of Child Protection, Disability and Inclusive Education, gender responsive programming and meaningful child participation in programs.
- Conversant with refugee and national education service delivery systems.
- Knowledge of effective participatory Monitoring, Evaluation and Research systems and processes.
- Knowledge of gender issues in the education sector.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work in a matrix environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.plan-international.org.