Website Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Danish Refugee Council is a private Danish humanitarian nonprofit organization, founded in 1956.
HR & Admin Coordinator Job Vacancy at Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Founded in 1956, The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations – refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs) and host communities – in more than 40 countries around the world. DRC has been implementing emergency response projects in Tanzania since the onset of the Burundi refugee crisis in 2015 in three refugee camps in the Kigoma Region at the border with Burundi. DRC’s integrated projects for refugees, asylum seekers and host communities comprise sectors such as Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM), Gender Based Violence (GBV), Child Protection (CP), Legal, People with Special Need (PSN), Community Based Violence and Livelihoods.
Overall purpose of the role:
HR & Admin Coordinator has the overall responsibility for providing technical support for DRC HR & Administration functions in DRC’s areas of operations in Tanzania. More specifically, the HRA Coordinator’s responsibilities involve attracting and retaining talented individuals, building trust, motivating staff, ensuring that staff possesses the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to perform their responsibilities, and preparing employees for future challenges. The position holder will provide overall advice, coordination and management of the Human Resources and Administration team and technical Human Resources support to the field offices and programme managers; as well as ensure efficient support to the program in accordance with existing DRC policies and procedures. The role will include roll out of the HR Manual, development of capacity building programme, implementation of performance reporting and development, and training to ensure DRC has a consistent and clear approach to HR and Admin across all sites.
Geographic scope: Area (Kigoma, Kasulu, Makere, Kibondo)
This role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of HR policies and procedures, work force development strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities. This role is based in Kibondo with frequent travel to other bases and staff locations.
- Supervise Human Resources and Administration team (including people planning, performance, well-being and development, travels).
- Provide technical support, advice and capacity build the Human Resources and Administration team.
- Advise and assist team leaders and managers in Human Resources related issues and concerns.
- Ensure HR & Administration department functions are fit for purpose by providing capacity building and training to relevant staff (across departments) according to the DRC Operations Handbook and policy briefs.
- Lead development of relevant SOPs to clarify roles and responsibilities of staff across department to ensure clarity of processes in line with country HR strategy.
- Support with the development of a HR Strategy for Tanzania, considering gender balance and retention policies, aligned with the overall country strategy.
- Lead the implementation of the DRC Dynamics (an ERP system) HR module across DRC sites and serve as a Super User, providing training as necessary.
- Ensure all staff receive an updated onboarding package with all departments within 1 week of starting with DRC, improve the induction package as necessary and as the context changes.
- As a member of Area Office Management Team, ensure HR issues and policies are regularly discussed, attaining inputs to SOPs, policies, and Plans.
Recruitment, development and people planning.
- Drive and support recruitment and selection activities ensuring compliance with recruitment process.
- Work with the senior management team and senior staff on new staff retention strategies and initiatives.
- Ensure proper onboarding process consistently applied across the organization.
- Ensure oversight and consistency in position titles and grades, across all field locations.
- Support staff development activities including promoting the DRC Learning Catalogue.
- Develop/maintain local processes for staff development making use of the DRC Learning Catalogue.
- Assist managers to identify, recommend and approve Learning & Development initiatives for their employees through DRC’s Learning Catalogue.
- Facilitate and lead on regular HR updates and feedback meetings/consultations with staff in camps and offices.
- Review feedback in HR Voices and make recommendations to SMT on actions and follow up.
Performance, well-being and compensation& benefits.
- Proactively respond to and manage performance counselling, employee grievances and disciplinary issues as required, with a focus on building manager competency and ensuring that documentation is kept.
- Lead the performance management process implementation.
- Act as an impartial mediator in disciplinary procedures and ensure it is administered in an equitable and fair manner and meets all legal and labour regulations and requirements.
- Lead people well-being initiatives
- Define and review salary structure in partnership with the Senior Management team and coordinate annual compensation review process and compensation adjustments.
- Review and provide advice on exceptions to policies, regulations and rules; administer and provide advice on salary and related benefits, travel, and social security entitlements; determine and recommend benefits and entitlements for staff on the basis of contractual status. Support salary and entitlement surveys. Lead the implementation of a payroll system including software selection and associated training.
Human Resources policies and support
- Maintain and update Staff Human Resources Handbooks as necessary.
- Proactively pursue continuous process improvement in Human Resources related practices in order to enhance the quality and efficiency of output/delivery.
- Produce the necessary policies and guidelines to reflect the local requirements.
- Localization of the global policies and ensuring that the local labour law is considered.
- Ensure managers are familiar will the necessary tools and procedures within people management.
- Duty of care – ensure that all managers understand how to recognize signs of stress and have the means to support stressed out staff. Put in place a staff care plan.
- Work closely with HQ to share information and provide support as required.
Administrative and HR Management
- Development and management of HR and Admin budgets under project cost sharing basis
- Ensure oversight of relevant lists (e.g., leave, staff contacts, REDs) in coordination with managers and field sites.
- Ensure oversight of processing legal documents, letters, and requests from government offices.
- Monitor contract end dates and proactively liaise with managers regarding extension or end of contract.
- Organise, standardize and coordinate the staff exit processes.
Facilities office management
- Develop/maintain local processes for Facilities management.
- Working with Safety Focal Point, ensure all office infrastructures are appropriate, safe, and functioning.
- Ensure insurance plans are in place for all office buildings and equipment and updated at all times.
- Oversee follow-up and renewal of lease agreements for office premises, and expatriate housing.
- Assist with cost containment through procurement planning and pooling.
- Ensure communication of travel policies and monitor compliance to it.
- Oversee archiving policies are implemented.
- Ensure the development and monitoring of trackers for administrative tasks.
- Ensure communication is professional, timely and well-coordinated with DRC’s Legal advisor.
HR & Admin Coordinator Job Vacancy at Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
Qualification and Skills
- Master’s Degree or post graduate education qualification in Human resources or Business Administration
- Professional level in dealing with Microsoft office.
- Previous experience in working with HR\Payroll software.
- At least 5 years’ experience in relevant field, of which at least 2 years in a senior Human Resources and Administration management role within an NGO
- At least 3 years’ experience with people management
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
- Demonstrated understanding and working knowledge/experience of Human Resources Management principles, concepts & processes.
- Extensive knowledge on local labour law
- Excellent skills in handling and advising on complex people management issues.
- Experience in developing Human Resources strategies and policies and driving implementation.
- Experience using an online system for recruitment.
What we offer
Contract: Contract with the possibility of extension, subject to funding and performance.
Salary: in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment Management Band/ G1.
Availability: 1st October 2023.
Duty station: Kibondo, Tanzania
Reporting Line: Area Manager
Providing equal opportunities, We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
DRC strives to attract, motivate, and retain qualified national staff within its programs.
Promoting high standards : DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
Application and CV
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered.
DRC only accepts applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under JOB.
Please submit your application and CV in English no later than 26th September 2023 by clicking on this
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
To apply for this job please visit candidate.hr-manager.net.