Website Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS)
The Wildlife Conservation Society (“WCS”) is a New York not-for-profit corporation founded by statute in 1895 as the New York Zoological Society.
IUU Fisheries Specialist Job Vacancy at Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS)
Post Title: IUU Fisheries Specialist – Heshimu Bahari USAID Project
Supervisor: WCS Marine Director for Tanzania
WCS is looking to hire an IUU Fisheries Specialist for the USAID/Tanzania Heshimu Bahari Project led by Chemonics International Inc. The five-year project will acquire technical, material, and grant management services that support and strengthen capacity for marine biodiversity conservation to i) build the capacity of the public sector and civil society; ii) increase private sector engagement in marine conservation and coastal natural resources management; iii) improve the enabling environment for Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) and fisheries management at all levels; and iv) enhance data availability and use in decision making. The IUU Fisheries Specialist will be responsible to lead the extensive baseline ecological assessment that will be conducted at selected locations across Zanzibar and Mainland Tanzania. Detailed responsibilities are listed below.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the deployment of SMART patrol for monitoring illegal activities from artisanal fishers o Support administration with training and data analysis.
- Coordinate the work of the IUU focal points to support data collection on the. ground
- Analyze data and provide recommendations to improve data collection and patrols.
- Responsible for the deployment and design of Standard Operating Procedures for patrols to monitor illegal activities in the artisanal fishery fleet
- Responsible for supporting the deployment of the Electronic Monitoring System system for the industrial fishery sector o Support administration with training on the use of the EMS.
- Support with data analysis.
- Provide support for the deployment of remote sensing monitoring systems based on AIS, VMS, SAR, or other similar technologies
- Support the Heshimu Bahari team in the organization and implementation of knowledge exchange events with stakeholders
Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum 5 years of working experience and a Master’s degree in fishery, marine ecology or a similar field
- Demonstrated experience with quantitative data analysis with a particular focus on spatial data
- Experience with a programming language (R or Python) and geospatial analysis tools (ArcGIS or QGIS) is preferred
- Experience working with the artisanal and/or industrial fishery sector
- Experience in data management through online tools
- Some experience working with industrial fisheries data and stakeholders
- Familiarity with the academic and research Government institutions in Zanzibar and Mainland
- Fluency in English is required, fluency in Kiswahili is highly preferred
- Position is Open to Tanzanian Nationals Only
- Previous working experience in compliance and Monitoring Control and Surveillance for artisanal and/or industrial fisheries
- Experience in analyzing spatial data to inform fishery managament
Project Location & reporting
S/he will be joining WCS’s team in Zanzibar with frequent travel to Dar es Salaam and occasional travel to project sites. The position reports to WCS Tanzania Marine Program Director.
Qualified candidates should send:
- Cover letter and CV Only
- Applications should be sent via email to: WCS Tanzania addressed to the County Director at
email@example.com with the Subject: “Application for IUU Fisheries specialist Vacancy”
3.) Applications should be submitted by: January 26th 2024 5:00 PM EA TIME
Note: WCS Does not receive money in exchange for employment. Should you be asked for money in exchange for an interview opportunity or a job, please contact the police immediately. All WCS job applications will be received through firstname.lastname@example.org and not otherwise.