- Full Time
Kilimanjaro Co-operative Bank Limited
JOB TITLE: Legal Officer
JOB REPORTING TO: General Manager
DEPARTMENT/UNIT: Company Secretary
CONTRACT TYPE: Permanent
DATE:5th February 2024
Ensuring legal affairs of the organization are handled appropriately and in accordance with laws. To provide counsel on a wide range of issues, including contract negotiations, corporate governance, and compliance with regulations in ensuring that the organization operates smoothly and legally. To provide high-quality, timely and effective secretariat support and corporate governance advice including supporting General Manager in assigned matters by the Board.
- Drafting contracts and other legal documents of the Bank.
- Reviewing cases to determine whether they have legal merit.
- Preparing legal papers and briefs, researching legal issues, and drafting legal documents such as contracts and business agreements.
- Representing Bank in court, negotiating with opposing counsel, and developing legal arguments.
- Representing Bank in court or other settings, such as depositions or hearings.
- Conducting research on legal issues to support litigation efforts.
- Interpreting laws, regulations, and policies to advise Bank management about their implications.
- Drafting pleadings and motions for court proceedings, including criminal charges, bankruptcy petitions, and appeals of administrative decisions.
- Reviewing and analyzing laws, regulations, and cases related to banking and advise the Bank management on how to comply with legal requirements.
- Prepare Legal documents for approved Credit Facilities.
- Prepare other legal documents as may be required by the Bank.
- Review adequacy and completeness of legal documents executed by borrowers, mortgagors, guarantors, spouse etc before the same is executed by the Bank and ensure proper perfection and registration of securities, charges, in line with the Credit Policy and Credit Manual requirements.
- Process discharge of securities after the credit facilities have been paid in full or security assets have been sold through recovery measures to make sure that the process of discharge is handled in line with Credit Policy and procedures.
- To assist in guiding the Board on its duties and responsibilities and other matters of governance.
- To ensure that the Board complies with its obligations under the law and the bank’s articles of association.
- To assist the Board with the evaluation exercise.
- To assist to facilitate Board and Shareholders meetings.
- To assist in the custodianship of all Board’s official records including Board packs, minutes and the Bank’s MEMARTS, Resolutions and attendance register.
- To maintain effective communication between Shareholders with the Board.
- Prepare and coordinate the induction process for all new board directors (including liaising with the relevant business units to ensure introductory meetings are held).
- Prepare and coordinate training and development of the Board Members.
- Ensure Board Meetings and Activities are conducted according to the Board and Committee Work plans.
- Ensure all Board papers are timely circulated to members and uploaded into the diligent portal and all decisions of the Board are accurately and appropriately recorded in the minutes of the meetings and matters arising.
- To prepare and draft resolutions, minutes, reports and annual work plans.
- To propose amendments to the bank’s Articles of Association and changes and development of the Board and Committee Charters.
- Preparing the relevant logistics and catering services for board and committee meetings including ensuring availability of ICT, Software tools and equipment.
- Circulation of Board papers to members by uploading them in the portal and confirming the quorum required.
- To prepare the Board Budget.
- Updating the Boards information pack.
- To assist the Company Secretary in providing appointment letters to new and reappointed members.
- To facilitate the availability of working tools, allowances and fees to Board Members.
- To file annual returns.
- To assist Manager Secretariat in preparing the strategic Plan and budget.OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure personal development by attending mandatory e-learning courses and other relevant Bank online courses and other training opportunities.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor of Laws Degree from any recognized University.
- An Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania is Desirable.
- At least three (3) years working experience in Banking/lending legal practice/reputable institution/law firm handling commercial transactions.
- Professional / practical understanding of the banking law, commercial law and Tanzania regulatory regime.
- Excellent communication and Strong analytical skills;
- Ability to persuasively present information;
- A high level of accuracy is required; diplomacy is equally important;
- Flexible: able to quickly judge situations and shift activities;
- Knows and understands confidentiality, price-sensitive and disclosure regulatory requirements
- High level of Integrity, honest and trustworthy to confronts unethical behavior quickly
- Encourage full disclosure of mistakes with unwavering fidelity
- Self-driven, values based innovative, independent adaptive and results oriented person.
- Ability to ready and understand the Laws and Policies.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Co-operative and Professional
- Customer service oriented
- High level of integrity
- Focus on control and compliance.
- Pro activeness and innovative in solving issues.
- Passion for managing support activities, maintaining control by being alert to, and proactively handle, (potential) issues that may disturb operations, solving issues by involving key stakeholders.
- Self-driven, values based, innovative, independent adaptive and results oriented person.
COMMUNICATION & INTERACTION
- Branch Network, Employees
- Judiciary, Regulatory Authorities and Government Agencies such as BRELA, TRA, BOT Ministry of Lands etc.
How to Apply
Send Your application letter and CV to Email: Info@kcblbank.co.tz
Deadline : 18th February 2024
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org