Website Jane Goodall Institute
A global community conservation organization that advances the vision and work of Dr. Jane Goodall
The Jane Goodall Institute Tanzania (JGI-TZ) is a reputable and rapidly expanding non-governmental organization committed to wildlife research, conservation, socio-economic development, and environmental education. Founded in 1991, the Institute advances the vision and work of her founder Dr. Jane Goodall, DBE by continuing the chimpanzee research and inspiring communities to conserve the natural world we all share. Currently the Institute is seeking to recruit a suitably qualified and competent Tanzanian to fill the following job vacant position:
Job Position: Nurse
Duty Station: Gombe National Park, Kigoma
Overall Job Summary:
Provide Health care to workers which includes Treatment and recovery of ill and injured people, health maintenance and treatment of life-threatening emergencies in various health care situations at the field station.
Key Job Responsibilities & Duties:
Main responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Perform physical Examinations of all the staffs at the station upon entry to the field station to make sure they are fit to do their daily duties and are free from communicable diseases such as Respiratory illnesses, TB etc.
- Make sure Quarantine rules for researchers with/without illnesses are strictly adhered.
- Prescribe or recommend drugs, medical devices, or other forms of treatment, such as physical therapy, or other related therapeutic procedures and/or refers patients to appropriate clinic/hospitals.
- Order, interpret, and evaluate diagnostic tests to identify and assess patient’s condition.
- Provide health care, first aid, immunizations and assistance in convalescence and rehabilitation for staffs.
- Direct and coordinate infection control programs, advising and consulting with specified personnel about necessary precautions.
- Perform administrative and managerial functions, such as taking responsibility for a unit’s staff, budget, planning, and long-range goals.
- Provide or arrange for training/instruction of auxiliary personnel.
- Collaborate with the Public Health Department with contact tracing and treatment of various communicable diseases.
- Deliver health teaching on a wide range of topics which requires knowledge of community.
- Providing health education and counselling to staffs/community on identified health needs.
- Monitor the consumption of drugs and equipment required and notify supervisor of re-stocking needs.
- Ensure hygiene and sterilization criteria, including universal precautions, are met.
- Ensure that medical practices are conducted with the highest level of integrity and ethics according to professional codes of conduct.
- Ensure confidential, accurate and concise documentation of patient information.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Establish occupational health guidelines for vaccinations, medical surveillance, and exposure response.
Minimum Job Qualifications and other Requirements:
Education, Licenses & Certifications:
- Diploma or bachelor’s degree in nursing/Midwifery from an accredited School of Nursing and Midwifery.
- Valid practicing license is required.
- 3 years of nursing & midwifery experience is required.
- Experience working with international NGOs is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of professional nursing & midwifery principles, procedures, and techniques
- Knowledge of medical and non-medical waste disposal procedures
- Knowledge of hygiene management and IPC protocol
- Skilled in applying professional nursing & midwifery care principles and procedures in the evaluation and treatment of patients.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills and Able to work flexible hours including weekends.
- A good command of both written and spoken English.
- Experience with computer programs at least intermediate level with Microsoft Office products.
Nurse Job Vacancy at the Jane Goodall Institute
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of patient information and adhere to professional code of conduct.
- Ability to treat all patients and staff with respect, without prejudice.
- Ability to provide high quality, ethical, compassionate care that places the needs of the patient first.
- Ability to maintain detailed records with high accuracy.
- Ability to be flexible and manage stress.
- Team worker, able to work in a multi-cultural environment, punctual and high integrity.
Read: Why it is Important to always Update your CV to Match the Job Description.
All applications should be submitted together with the most recent Curriculum Vitae (resume), copy of relevant certificates, testimonials, three names of reputable and current referees, mobile phone number, e-mail address, and should be send to the below e-mail address:
Send by e-mail to:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
The deadline for submitting the application is 16 May 2023.
JGI Tanzania is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, national or tribal origin, religious belief, sexual orientation, and marital status.
Qualified Women are highly encouraged to apply.
QUALIFIED WOMEN ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com