The International Organization for Migration
Pharmaceutical Assistant Job Vacancy at IOM
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Vacancy Notice IOM/KSU/008/2023
Position title Senior Pharmaceutical Assistant (1 Position)
Position grade G6
Duty station Kasulu/Makere, United Republic of Tanzania
Position number To be created
Job family Migration Health
Organizational unit Migration Health Division
Durations One Year with possibility of extension
Is this a Regional, HQ, MAC, PAC, Liaison Office, or Country Office based position? Country Office
Reports directly to Migration Health Officer (MHO)
Overall Supervised by Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO)
II. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Working under the overall supervision of Chief Migration Health Officer and the direct
supervision of the Migration Health Officer, the incumbent will assist in the management of drugs, vaccines, medical supplies and equipment being used in IOM.
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
1. Plan and execute the storage of Drugs and medical supplies and equipment in the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) Makere store as per good storage practices and laid down SOPs. Assist in the proper maintenance of medical equipment used by Migration health physicians and nurses, and replenishing their medical supplies as needed.
2. Ensure in proper storage of Vaccines in the Fridges and Cold Room with strict maintenance of cold Chain as per laid down Standard Procedures.
3. Support stock control and Inventory management systems by maintaining hard copy records in the form of Stock movement sheets or bin cards, and a prescription file, and posting all transactions into the Pharmacy Web based stock management database and generating reports periodically when required.
4. Dispense prescriptions and provide information and advice concerning side effects, dosage, and proper storage of drugs to migrants and staff. Organizing for out-of-stock prescription items to be dispensed at Coptic Hospital Pharmacy and issuance to the migrants.
5. Prepare Orders for drugs, vaccines and medical supplies and equipment using Standard
Purchase Requisition forms (PRF) and liaising with the MHD procurement focal point in Program Support Unit and coordinating with Common Services (COS) Department to ensure that items are ordered as per required specifications. Receiving and inspecting deliveries of drugs, medical supplies/equipment and vaccines and forwarding the certified delivery notes to COS-Procurement unit for payment.
6. Prepare the required paperwork and documents for purchases and import into Tanzania for vaccines, drugs and medical supplies.
7. Coordinate with local/national health authorities, physicians, pharmaceutical companies, hospitals and laboratories as needed, for staff training, etc.
8. Packing Medical escort bags/Kits as per medical conditions of cases being escorted using provided medical escort kits’ contents lists. Replenish and check the contents especially the expiry dates of drugs and medical supplies and condition of medical equipment of the medical escort kits before and after use by medical escorts.
9. Perform such other related duties that may be assigned from to time.
IV. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Diploma in Pharmaceutical Technology from a recognized institution
• Minimum four-year work experience.
• Enrolled with Tanzania’s Pharmacy and Poisons Board or awaiting enrolment.
• Work or internship experience preferably with drugs and vaccines in international organizations, NGOs or pharmaceutical companies will be an added advantage.
• Additional training experience in purchase, import, export and distribution of drugs, medical supplies/equipment and vaccines will also be an added advantage.
• Fluent in English and Kiswahili. Ability and willingness to work in difficult areas/situations.
• Teamwork orientated, capacity to work independently, sensitive to gender issues, personal commitment, efficient and flexible.
• Good interpersonal relationship and ability to work in a multicultural environment.
• Good typing, writing, communication and negotiation skills.
• Computer literate in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access.
See also: Various Jobs Vacancies at T.M.J. Hospital
Pharmaceutical Assistant Job Vacancy at IOM
Fluency in both written & spoken English and Kiswahili are required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism
• Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
• Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
• Monitors own work to correct errors
• Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
• Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
• Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
• Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
• Contributes to colleagues’ learning
• Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
• Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
• Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
• Actively shares relevant information
• Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
• Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
• Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
• Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
• Persuades others to consider new ideas
• Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
• Convinces others to share resources
• Actively identifies opportunities for and promotes organizational change
• Presents goals as shared interests
• Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
• Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
• Identifies ways for their staff to develop their abilities and careers
• Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
• Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
• Holds directly reporting managers accountable for providing fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluation
Planning and Organizing
• Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
• Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
• Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
• Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
• Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals
• Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
• Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
• Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
• Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
• Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
• Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
• Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
• Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
• Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
• Contributes to, and follows team objectives
• Gives credit where credit is due
• Seeks input and feedback from others
• Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
• Actively supports and implements final group decisions
• Takes joint responsibility for team’s work
• Learns about developments in available technology
• Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
• Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
• Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations
• The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
1ST LEVEL SUPERVISOR DATE:
2ND LEVEL SUPERVISOR DATE:
STAFF MEMBER DATE:
The UN system in Tanzania provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, diversity, integrity, a healthy balance of work and life and equal opportunities for all, including persons with disability.
Female candidates and qualified persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply for UN vacancies and are protected from discrimination during all stages of employment.
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should fill in the PH form, submit CV’s and cover letter indicating Vacancy Number with 3 professional references and contacts to email address: email@example.com
The vacancy is open for internal candidates Tanzanian national only. Only e-mail applications will be considered.
The deadline for submitting the application is 16 April 2023.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org