CARE is an international humanitarian organization fighting global poverty and world hunger by working alongside women and girls.
Project Officer – VSLA Job Vacancy at CARE
CARE is a leading humanitarian organization dedicated to fighting poverty and social injustice and places a particular emphasis on women and girls, their dignity and empowerment to lead their communities out of poverty. CARE began working in Tanzania since April 1994, in response to the crisis in Rwanda and the subsequent influx of refugees into the Kagera Region of North-western Tanzania. Over the subsequent years, CARE Tanzania developed innovative education, health, microfinance, and environmental programs across most regions of the country. In Tanzania CARE works with the Government both in mainland and Zanzibar and other stakeholders to transform communities and ensure financial inclusion and independence, health and nutrition, climate-smart development resilience, especially for women and girls.
CARE Tanzania seeks to recruit a self-motivated, results driven, dynamic, suitably qualified, competent and dedicated Tanzanian to fill the following positions: –
POSITION TITLE: Project Officer – VSLA
REPORTS TO: Senior Manager-Fundraising
LOCATION: Kishapu, Shinganya
The Project Officer-VSLA will be responsible for project implementation and coordination for ensuring the accomplishment of the objectives under his/her responsibility. The VSLA Officer under the supervision and guidance from Senior Manager will take a lead on execution of core activities to achieve the project objectives that include empowering women through VSLA, promote adoption of collective Investment and business development.
Stakeholders’ engagement including working closely with local government authorities and REDESO as the key partners for this project will be key in facilitating smooth implementation and success of the project. In consultation with the supervisor, the VSLA officer for Scaling Up Livelihood Project will ensure that financial compliance is maintained as per CARE financial policy and Grant agreement.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Facilitate the identification and/or formation and mobilization VSLA.
- Facilitate Capacity building on VSLA in collaboration with REDESO.
- Facilitate the identification of village VSLA agents to enhance community awareness and ownership/sustainability of VSLA approach.
- Act as the focal point for information sharing in within the project site between CARE, community, VSLA groups and other key partners in support towards project success of the VSLA component.
- If necessary and impactful, conduct exposure visits of new community saving groups to successful VSL groups. In implementing this activity, occasionally, attend savings groups meetings and provide advice as appropriate and participate in review.
- Play an active role in the monitoring of Village saving groups, to gain respect and build trust with men and boys, women, and girls so that they feel confident to share information with CARE through Scaling Up Livelihood Project.
- Support identification and mobilization of groups willing to do Collective Investment Facilitate training to Community Based Trainer (CBT) on Collective Investment and VSLA.
- Coordinates facilitation of vulnerable women and girls to participate in planning and decision-making process at various levels and occasions.
- Conduct awareness /sensitization on VSLA and IGA activities among communities and local leaders.
- Develop work plans (Weekly, Monthly and Quarterly) to ensure effective implementation of VSLA related activities as outlined in the detailed implementation plan.
- Use communication skills to create and/or strengthen awareness on the available opportunities in agribusiness and entrepreneurship across the project and promote the participation of VSLA members in harnessing those opportunities.
- Ensure that, through sensitization and training, women take lead role in their development activities.
- Support building the governance capacity of VSLA to promote transparency and decision making.
- Facilitate awareness creation and linkage of VSLA to key service providers, including agro-dealers, financial service providers, input suppliers and outlet markets.
- Support VSL groups in developing individual field business cases and plans and creating linkages with key service providers, with a focus on financial service providers.
- Identify technical capacity and challenges for beneficiaries and village Saving groups and skills/knowledge they have in VSLA, Business development skills, Income generating activities (IGAs) and build skills.
- Oversee and regularly monitor when the VSLA groups are conducting the share purchase, social contributions and borrowing and repayment of loans to ensure proper documentation/recording of VSLA field cash box.
- Train beneficiaries and Community Based Trainers (CBTs) skills on VSLA methodology, BDS/cooperatives, and marketing skills.
- Coach, supervise and mentor the CBTs for effective facilitation and support of VSLA and Income generating activities.
- Train partners on Social Analysis and Action (SAA) and conduct SAA at community level.
- Strengthen the capacity of partners. I.e. local government representatives on VSLA methodology to promote adoption of the model by the government.
- Promote collective investment model in VSL groups and establishment of Agri-fund by VSLAs.
- Facilitate and organize exposure or exchange visits and any other events for the beneficiaries to foster learning and experience sharing.
- Ensure timely procurement of and delivery of right quality and quantity of VSLA kits/tools required by the beneficiaries and ensure these are used appropriately.
- Facilitate training of VSLA members on life skills such as on basic literacy, household financial affairs, risk management and planning etc.
- Making sure balanced gender (Men, Women and Youth) in the representation and participation of the project.
- Liaise with the Project Manager for all decisions related to VSLA and carry out any other duties as may be assigned by the Line supervisor.
- Identify venue to influence the district to adopt VSLA and other potential partners as a means to support communities to increase capital.
- Spearhead microfinance policy and regulations monitoring and analysis in collaboration with other stakeholders and identify key policy recommendations and design appropriate messages for policy makers and stakeholders.
- Support PQ and MEEL unit in monitoring and measurement of the progress and impact as per CARE international standards and work with communication.
- Organize, assist with management of project’s funds and ensures efficient utilization of funds for maximum impact.
- In collaboration with finance staff contributes to preparation of annual budgets based on project initiative’s proposal and ensures compliance with donor requirements and ensure threat BVA are well maintained to over unnecessary over/under spending.
- Project Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Reporting
- Networking, Learning and Representation
- Promote Gender Equality Perform Other Duties as Assigned by the supervisor.
- Degree in Business Administration, Community development, sociology and any other relevant experience in microfinance, livelihoods, IGA and VSLA methodology.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in community development including training in gender equality, Saving groups and any other related field.
- Experienced facilitator /trainer
- Working experience in resilience initiatives or programs is highly preferred.
- Familiarity with principles and practice of savings-led microfinance and with strong awareness of challenges faced by traditional methodologies.
- Willingness to travel to all project locations on regular basis.
- Experience in working with non-Governmental organizations and local communities, local authorities and Local NGOs.
- Strong computer skills and ability to use standard computing packages such as word, excel, power point, spreadsheets, and database software programs.
- Strong communication and report writing skills.
- Experience in gender work and VSLA with an International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO)
- Strong experience in working with private sector development and Collective Investment Model.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and roll-out gender transformative approaches to partner organizations.
- Experience in capacity building and training in gender mainstreaming and gender transformation.
- Experience in training gender minimum standards in support of gender equality integration/mainstreaming.
- Experience in engaging men and boys to promote gender equality.
- Extensive knowledge of VSLA methodology, and excellent track record for training and supporting at VSLA groups.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Ability to understand and contribute to the strategic vision for VSLA development.
- Ability to work collaborate with partners and work effectively with them to leverage the impact of the programme.
- Ability to communicate regularly and openly with the wider CARE Tanzania team to share progress, insights, challenges, and recommendation.
- Self-directed and self-motivated; able to organize and deliver your own work with minimal supervision.
MODE OF APPLICATIONS:
Only a letter of application and updated CV including names of at least 3 reputable referees from previous jobs (preferable line Managers) with reliable contacts should be sent by email to Human Resources Department TZAHumanResourcesDepartment@care.org by CoB, 20th February 2024 at 1700hrs. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female and people with disability candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children and vulnerable adults from abuse.
To apply for this job email your details to TZAHumanResourcesDepartment@care.org