Website Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
The Norwegian Refugee Council is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee
A job description is a written statement that describes the employee’s role and responsibilities. The role and responsibilities shall be executed within the NRC framework. The job description facilitates the recruitment process by stating the necessary competencies. It is mandatory for all positions.
Position: WASH Officer -Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion
Reports to: WASH Project Coordinator
Supervision of: WASH Technical Assistants – Sanitation and hygiene promotion.
Duty station: Nyarugusu Refugee Camp
Project number: TZFM2403
Duration and type of contract: 12 months with possibility of extension subject to funding availability
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
- Role and responsibilities
The purpose of the officer position is day-to-day implementation of the WASH Project. Use actions words such as ensure, implement or assist for the position relevant responsibilities.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks, and guidelines.
- Implement delegated WASH project portfolio according to plan of action.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management.
- Ensure proper filing of documents.
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement.
- Contribute to organisational learning through the provision specific technical analysis, lessons learned and reports.
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need and explore and asses new and better ways to assist.
- Supports PC in formulation of project work plans and provides quality and timely reports to the PC on projects progress.
- Coordinate with the other WASH Officers and other Implementing Partners in the camp to ensure that the various aspects of the WASH response are integrated (i.e., Attending internal and external meeting).
- Develops a contingency response plan for any unforeseen emergencies and epidemic break outs and any unpredictable change of weather when called upon also Collect relevant health data on WASH related illness to be able to monitor on the impact of the public health promotion programme.
- Supervise and Oversees community mobilization for all activities related to Hygiene Promotion and sanitation in line with relevant standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles.
- Help plan and carry out needs assessments, baseline studies and periodic studies, and feedback findings to the stakeholders.
- Oversees effective implementation of sanitation and hygiene promotion activities including supervision and monitoring of latrine construction, assist in developing relevant IEC materials that will be used for training and in carrying out hygiene promotion activities within the camp, fabrication of slabs and ensuring tasks are completed correctly and on schedule.
- Supervises and monitors distribution of NFIs, soaps and latrine construction materials also take account of the vulnerabilities of the various groups identified in relation to exposure of public health risks.
- Design an appropriate vector control strategy that is cost effective and will take into consideration environmentally friendly techniques
- Preparation of bill of quantities as requested from time to time also Participates actively in proposal and budget developments.
- Supervise Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion activities and resources so that they are implemented and handed over or ended in a way that promotes local capacities and sustainable operations aslo Preparation of completion certificates to facilitate payment of work done by contractors /incentive workers.
- Monitors allocated budget to avoid overspending /underspending.
- Ensures that HR processes are properly done for each of the staff (WASH Assistannts /Refugee community workers.
- Recruits, trains, and manages incentive workers (sanitation community workers, hygiene promoters wash committees etc.).
- Supervises and develops the capacity of WASH assistants/refugee community workers implementing sanitation and water quality activities.
- Develops work plan for each staff and measures their performance along the implementation period.
- Takes account of gender, protection, HIV, the environment, and other important cross-cutting concerns in programme design, implementation, and reporting; carry out activities in a way that reflects the needs of specific groups and individuals e.g. elderly people, minority groups, children, and people with disabilities.
- Help identify needs for hygiene and sanitation items for institutions including the health centres, hospital, and other informal schools.
- Facilitate formation of school and environmental health clubs in liaison with the club patrons to help promote safe WASH practices.
- Undertake trainings on hygiene promotion for the school health club members, health club patrons, hygiene promotion incentive staff and the vector control team.
- Any other assignment as may be required by the WASH Project Coordinator or Programme Manager.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- M&E Officer.
- Shelter, WASH Officers.
- Logistics, Finance and HR/Admin teams at NRC Kibondo.
- Education and environmental protection agencies.
- Relevant local authorities, peer INGO’s and UN agencies.
Scale and scope of position
Competencies are important for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
- Professional competencies
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies:
- Experience from working as a WASH Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Fluency in English and Swahili, oral and written.
- Be able to use a wide variety of software, including Word, Excel and Power Point
- Participate in appropriate professional development of project portfolio
- At all times in and outside work adhere to NRC Code of Conduct
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Degree in field related to Civil engineering, Environmental engineering, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion.
- Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of water and sanitation projects for at least 3 years. Possibly experience in social work and / or humanitarian assistance.
- Ability to initiate, develop, plan and implement an integrated programme.
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information.
- Experience in capacity building and training of staff and target groups.
- Political and cultural awareness.
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- Understanding of international health and development and relief issues.
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disadvantaged populations (minority groups etc.)
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into WASH Programming.
2. Behavioural competencies
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies, and the following are essential for this position:
- Planning and delivering results.
- Empowering and building trust.
- Communicating with impact and respect.
- Handling insecure environment.
- Performance Management
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- Professional Development Plan
- The Competency Framework
To apply for this job please visit ekum.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.