The German Agency for International Cooperation
GIZ is seeking to recruit an advisor for the Pan-African e-Commerce Initiative (PeCI) at the EAC- GIZ cluster in Arusha, Tanzania. As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
The Pan African e-Commerce Initiative (PeCI) is a joint EAC and GIZ-Project that aims to improve the framework conditions for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) to participate in cross-border digital trade in selected African countries. In addition to strengthening the framework conditions to support the growth of e-Commerce in the East African Community, the initiative aims to build capacities of SMEs to engage in e-Commerce thus boosting their overall revenues and widening their networks in Africa and around the world.
The EAC-GIZ cluster comprises of nine cooperation projects from a wide-range of sectors including health, trade & economic integration, digitalisation, industrial development among others. The cluster supports the East African Community (EAC) Secretariat and the Partner States in driving the process of regional economic integration together with organizations from the private sector, civil society, and academia. Additionally, diversification of industries and adding value to products and services in the region is at the forefront of this partnership.
Duty station: Arusha, Tanzania Fixed term contract
Job location: Band A
Responsibilities and Tasks
The advisor is responsible for
- supporting the implementation of the EAC e-Commerce strategy in close cooperation with the EAC Secretariat,
- providing technical advice to increase the availability of safe and affordable cross-border e-payment systems in the EAC region
- the proactive facilitation and technical, administrative and financial implementation of project activities according to agreed targets
- the implementation of daily operational aspects of all issues related to the project
- processing technical aspects and further developing the area of responsibility in accordance with the specified quality standards
- maintaining a good flow of communication and information between all involved institutions and counterparts and GIZ
- the development and exploration of new project interventions also outside the core area of responsibility, to expand the project/cluster portfolio
- enhancing and strengthening the technical cooperation and collaboration with key partners to the project cluster/programme
- monitoring and reporting of project activities
- supporting implementation responsibility (AV and Deputy Programme Manager) in all tasks regarding project coordination
Coordination and monitoring
- puts together an overview of project activities, deadlines etc., integrates them into the respective GIZ planning tools (e.g. Onsite Operations) and presents it regularly at e.g. team meet- ings
- coordinates activities with the team members at other project locations, particularly in East and West Africa, as well as in GIZ HQ
- supports results-based monitoring and updates information on project progress, documents and reports regularly on the status of results in the areas of e-payments and e-commerce
- assists with recording and documenting the results of all activities in GIZ’s documentation management system
- supports work plans meetings, workshops, seminars and other project activities with a focus on technical aspects
- follows-up on the implementation of work plans and their timely amendment if necessary
- contributes to, orders and distributes PR materials on the project as well as GIZ PR materials
- assists with PR work for the project and proactively develops input for communication of project results
- assists with drafting Terms of Reference, setting up contracts and following up on their implementation in a timely manner
- guides and assists short-term experts assigned to project in completing their tasks.
View also: Market Research Operations & Insights Officer Job Vacancy at BURN Manufacturing
Advisor for the Pan-African e-Commerce Initiative (PeCI) Job Vacancy at GIZ
Research and knowledge management
- in consultation with the team prepares and carries out qualitative and quantitative background research, particularly on e-payments and e-commerce topics
- assists in drawing up reports and also drafts reports independently
- communicates, updates and collects information on e-commerce and private sector related topics and activities and shares them with colleagues and counterparts
Implementation of project activities
- is responsible for the timely implementation of agreed work plans as well as their adaption where appropriate in the assigned work areas
- is responsible for organising national and regional workshops
- co-ordinates and leads the recruitment and support of external experts (consultants)
- provides ad hoc support to project implementation of new work streams and projects in the cluster, in addition to the core work area.
- makes himself familiar with GIZ planning, implementation, contracting and reporting procedures and their changes (GIZ rules and regulations- PuR)
- makes himself familiar with other programme components and GIZ-assisted measures, concepts and status of implementation and knows the corresponding experts and staff
- represents the interest of the GIZ-assisted measure and always acts on its behalf
- carries out important tasks for the project/programme, even if these are not explicitly cited in the job description
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experiences
- University degree in economics, finance, trade, business informatics or similar
- At least five years of experience in implementing projects in the fields of sales, trade, mobile money or logistic – ideally in the private sector and in export
- Experience in project management and coordination (incl. monitoring) at regional level
- Proven experience in working with multiple stakeholders of the public sector and the private sector
- Strong knowledge of digital modernization in Africa and of digital eco-system in the East African region.
- Knowledge of legal and economic aspects of trade in goods and services, crossborder e-payments and e-commerce
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills
- Ability to work independently, structure tasks and familiarize oneself with new topics quickly and comprehensively
- Willingness to travel frequently in East Africa
- Excellent networking and communication skills
- A great interest in ICT and technology
- Flexibility and ability to work under time constraints
- Fluency in English is vital. Knowledge of Swahili, German and French would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and high commitment to integrity
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
- General understanding of financial planning and accounting
- Experience with development cooperation and donor processes would be an asset
Interested candidates should send their letter of application together with the CV and copies of aca- demic certificates by email to email@example.com.
Please use the subject line “Advisor for the Pan-African e-Commerce Initiative (PeCI)”. Closing date for submission: 17.04.2023
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
GIZ Tanzania is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all qualified and eligible candidates regardless of their gender, origin, religion/belief, disability, or any other minority group.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org