World Wide Fund for Nature - Tanzania Office
Communications Officer – TCO Job Vacancy at WWF
Position Title: Communications Officer – TCO
Reports to: Head of Communications, WWF Tanzania Country Office
Post base: Dar Es Salaam
Start Date: July, 2023
I. Position Summary
WWF Tanzania is part of WWF (The World Wide Fund for Nature), an international nongovernmental organization that deals with conservation of nature through a number of environmental management programmes. Our mission is to stop the degradation of the Planet’s natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature.
Under the supervision of the Communications manager, The Communications Officer will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the Country Office’s Communication strategy and priorities. WWF Tanzania Communication priorities include increasing awareness of the WWF’s programmes to its target audience to trigger actions towards sustainable utilization of resources, encouraging participation of the communities involved in the projects and CSOs to support the conservation objectives, influencing policies or policy makers to support the WWF initiatives and programmes objectives and secure commitment of selected private sector companies to the programmes’ conservation objectives and communicating for fundraising
- Major Function:
Provide support to WWF’s communications operations in Tanzania for the purpose of establishing a regular and quality presence of TCO both online and on the ground so as to strengthen conservation awareness and action among communities, policy makers, donors and partners and fundraise for conservation.
- Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Communication for Public Engagement and Movement Building
- Participate in the development and implementation of strategic communications and advocacy outreach programmes and campaigns to influence attitude and behaviour change;
- Develop and disseminate Information Education and Communications materials including print and electronic materials;
- Work in close partnership with the conservation program leads to develop and disseminate quarterly bulletins highlighting Landscape and seascape conservation activities and impact;
- Assists in designing and implementing crisis and media handling strategies;
- Work with communications and program teams to generate digital content;
- Support the delivery of creative, targeted and impactful communication, advocacy and engagement campaigns, activities and projects, which support the objectives of WWF Tanzania conservation impact and communications strategy;
- Collaborate with communicators across the WWF network to enhance and develop comms planning processes and to achieve greater levels of engagement, participation and conversion from our core campaigns and initiatives.
2. Strategic Communication for Country Office Support and Advocacy
- Participates in developing and implementing strategic outreach programmes and campaigns within the country and key implementing areas;
- Support the Preparation of talking points and speeches for programme teams ;
- Support development of program proposals and preparation of project reports;
- Contribute to programmes’ strategic plans development and review;
- Support transboundary communications initiatives and jointly funded projects.
- Identify ways to measure the success of activities and ensure regular evaluation reports are produced and prepared for individual campaigns, programmes and projects.
3. Communications for Partnerships and Fundraising
- Network with partners to ensure participation at partner-led public events to enhance WWF Tanzania’s visibility in and outside the country where relevant
- Participates in developing and implementing Corporate Citizenship Programs and activities;
- Assists in planning and organizing corporate events for the country office and its programmes.
- Support the fundraising team in developing fundraising collaterals as part of the wider resource mobilization strategy;
- Monitors, reviews and provides recommendations regarding communication and fundraising activities;
- Organise and execute partner and corporate events such as media briefs, seminars and conferences among others;
- Support communication liaison for donor visits to the programme areas (Landscapes and
4. Internal Communication
- Supports the delivery of internal communications activities to support a range of projects, work areas and workgroups;
- Ensures prudent management and safety of communication assets and resources;
- Support the management of WWF Tanzania’s website by liaising with responsible staff to generate and update web content;
- Work with the IT team in the regular development of online channels, to ensure it maximises opportunities, to support the sharing of messages and two-way engagement and interaction;
- Coordinate logistics, planning and evaluation to support a range of internal communications events.
- Embed and bring our brand to life for colleagues, building champions within the office to support our external messaging and positioning;
- Responsible for supporting scheduling and creating high-quality and engaging internal communications content on a weekly basis for core channels, and to deliver this in a variety of mediums, including written, visual, audio and video;
- Undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required of you in the post.
I. Profile Experience, Qualifications and Knowledge
▪ A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in public relations or communication-related field;
▪ At least 3 years’ experience in a fast-paced media environment;
▪ Respected relationships with key media; demonstrated success in pitching to local, regional and international media;
▪ Proven experience in identifying and proactively developing story ideas;
▪ Strong writing, case study story gathering and editorial skills;
▪ Strong content development, digital and creative skills;
▪ Strategic communications planning;
▪ Media Relations and crisis management;
▪ Networking and Relationship Building capability;
▪ Content development skills;
▪ Experience in driving corporate affairs and communication function in Conservation, development, policy environment or related areas;
▪ Excellent communications, networking, media relations, event management, brand management, writing strategy formulation and deployment skills;
▪ Excellent organizational, strategic thinking, negotiation, budgeting and leadership skills;
▪ Creative thinking and an ability to be inventive, sharing new ideas to help increase the impact of our interventions;
▪ Extremely organised, with attention to detail second-to-none; ▪ Proficient in designing and editing software use.
▪ Adheres to WWF’s values, which are: Optimistic, Engaging, Determined and Knowledgeable;
▪ Interest in the work of WWF Tanzania and able to hit the ground running;
▪ Membership of a Public Relations Society or media association is an added advantage.
Communications Officer – TCO Job Vacancy at WWF
II. Working Relationships
Internal: Interacts frequently with communications teams across the WWF Network, Coordinators, Projects Officers, Consultants, researchers and All WWF staff.
External: Interacts frequently with WWF Regional Communications Staff and WWF
Network Offices, Government ministries, departments and agencies, Civil Society
Organizations, Private sector, Professional bodies, development agencies, other NGOs, INGOs and donors with guidance from the Communications Manager
This job description sets out key responsibilities of the role and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of tasks and duties. The tasks and responsibilities may reasonably vary from time to time depending on the needs of the organisation.
Applications must include a complete Cover Letter & CV with full contact details of three referees and should be addressed to the People & Culture Manager, via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, 22 May 2023 at 17:00 pm. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WWF is an equal opportunity organization and has a principle of zero tolerance for fraud and corruption, if you encounter such an incident, then report by sending an email to email@example.com
View also: The Top 13 Modern CV Secrets
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org