Website Frankfurt Zoological Society (FZS)
Frankfurt Zoological Society is an international conservation organization founded in 1858 with headquarters in Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
Frankfurt Zoological Society (FZS) conserves wildlife and ecosystems focusing on protected areas and outstanding wild places. FZS maintains long-term conservation programs in Africa, South America, Asia, and Europe.
With increasing funds for biodiversity conservation from the development banking sector, we have identified the need to provide additional support to projects in Serengeti, Nyerere National Parks and Selous Game Reserve, and Tanzania Country Office (TCO) to meet donor requirements. We are seeking an experienced Procurement Officer to provide backstopping to project teams to ensure that the procurement of goods and services adheres to the procedures and standards laid out by donor requirements.
- Name of the position
Procurement Officer- FZS Tanzania
- Position in the organisation
- Reporting to the Project Coordinator
- The position will support the sourcing and procurement of goods, works, and services in the most cost-effective manner.
- The post holder will provide support for wider procurement issues relevant to FZS projects in Tanzania.
- The Procurement Officer will also work alongside another procurement officer, Project Accountants, and Program Managers
- The Procurement Officer will prepare timely quarterly progress reports and submit them to the Project Coordinator
- Purpose of the job
- To provide support in all matters related to procurement and logistics in project sites from the Arusha office/Dar office.
- Sourcing and procurement requirements may include (but are not limited to) spare parts, construction projects, ecology and animal health monitoring equipment, and field equipment (vehicles, fuel, tents, uniforms, etc.).
- Participate in the preparation of procurement plans based on approved budgets and AOPs.
- Secretary to the Procurement Management Unit (PMU) if needed.
- Roles and Responsibilities:
Strategic Procurement Management:
- Conduct source audit exercises through supplier selection, evaluation, and assessment.
- Support the preparation of the Project’s Annual Procurement Plans
- Support the Projects in procurement and other logistics to ensure goods, works, and services are procured in a timely way to facilitate project implementation and at the same time receive value for money.
- Work with the Program Managers to ensure vendors follow all the tendering regulations, procedures, and instructions
- Ensure orders are accurately drawn with the correct specifications, quantity, qualities, and delivery requirements
- Review all requests and purchase orders for completeness and conformance to user requirements.
- Manage consistent and effective strategic sourcing process.
- Support negotiations for large procurements
- Communicate sourcing approaches to all relevant stakeholders.
- Participate in quarterly pre-qualification of suppliers and ensure that the supplier’s database is regularly updated.
Contracts Negotiation and Management:
- Direct content for key supplier contracts including terms and conditions to mitigate risks for FZS Tanzania.
- Preparation of standard bidding documents, with terms and conditions of the tender.
- Monitoring performance and delivery of the terms of references of the contractors and recommendation for contract termination in cases of non-compliance to the TORs.
- Frame contractual agreements for the supply of consumables at the same prices for a specific agreed period.
- Support negotiations are carried out on contracts and orders to realize possible savings for the organization.
Performance Measurement and Management:
- Support Project Managers in drafting and preparing reports to donors and partners (quarterly, semi-annual, and annual reports)
- Manage relationships with key suppliers.
- Ensure preparation and submission of weekly/monthly procurement status reports to engage the suppliers and other stakeholders
- Keeping records of stores and all materials movements at the Arusha semi-office
- Ensure implementation and maintenance of an updated suppliers’ database with catalogs of various products and prices. Ensure timely clearance of goods from the port by working with clearing agents, and relevant government arms and timely processing and follow-up of relevant government exemptions like VAT.
- Ensure relevant original documents are obtained from Suppliers i.e. EFD receipt, finalized invoice
- Printing, filing, and maintaining records of all project activities implementation in their respective files at the Arusha office.
Procurement Officer Job Vacancy at Frankfurt Zoological Society (FZS)
- Job Requirements: Qualifications and Experience :
- Bachelor’s degree in Materials Management/Procurement and Logistics or similar
- At least three years of experience with Procurement and Logistics in donor-funded projects.
- Good written and spoken English
- Willingness to work long hours in remote areas with minimal supervision
- Valid class D motor vehicle driving license and clean driving record will be added advantages
- Excellent computer skills
- Experience working or living in the parks when required.
- One or more years of experience working in the wildlife conservation sector
- Experience working with international NGOs and donor-funded projects
- Experience in working with KFW grants
2-year full-time contract based at TCO Arusha/Dar with occasional travel to FZS project sites.
- Integrity – Maintain high ethical standards, both personally and professionally; show integrity, respect, and fairness when dealing with others
- Teamwork – Co-operates and works well with others in the pursuit of the team’s goals; shares information; supports others. Contributes effectively towards a collective (organizational) goal or towards solving problems/conflicts even when the topic involved does not directly serve one’s interests
- Flexibility – Adaptable; receptive to new ideas; willing and able to adjust to changing demands and circumstances. Willingness to work on weekends and during holidays if needed
- Planning and organizing – Setting goals and budgeting transparently and effectively; indicating necessary action, time, and resources and monitoring progress
- Initiative – Recognizing opportunities and acting on them. Proactive, self-starting rather than passively accepting; actively influencing events.
- Creativity – Conceiving original solutions to job-related problems. Introducing new working methods to replace existing ones.
Your application should contain a cover letter, your chronological CV as well and qualifying certificates.
Your cover letter should answer the following questions:
- Why would you like to work for the advertised position?
- What qualifications and personal qualities make you a good candidate?
Please send your electronic application documents (as one single PDF) and indicate your salary expectations and the earliest possible starting date to: email@example.com.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 8th December 2023 at 16.00 HOURS
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org