Website US Embassy Dar es Salaam
The mission of the United States Embassy is to advance the interests of the United States, and to serve and protect U.S. citizens in Tanzania.
- Announcement Number:
- Hiring Agency:
- Embassy Dar Es Salaam
- Position Title:
- Public Health Administrative Specialist (Communication specialist) (CDC) (All Interested Candidates)
- Open Period:
- 01/21/2024 – 02/06/2024Format MM/DD/YYYY
- Vacancy Time Zone:
- LE – 0540 10
- TZS TSh68,676,233 /Per Year
- Work Schedule:
- Full-time – 40HRS PER WEEK
- Promotion Potential:
- Duty Location(s):
- 1 Vacancy in
- Telework Eligible:
- For More Info:
- Hiring Path:
- • Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required:
- Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type
- Appointment Type Details:
- Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement:
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
The U.S. Mission in Dar es Salaam is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Public Health Administrative Specialist (Public Health Specialist – Communication Specialist) at CDC.
- Supervisory Position:
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
- Travel Required:
- Occasional TravelOCCASIONAL TRAVEL
This position serves as a Communication Specialist, under the direct supervision of the Associate Director of Policy and Communication |(USDH). This position leads and directs the development and implementation of a comprehensive communication strategy, which includes providing coordination and quality assurance for all communication and marketing activities; assuring health information is accurately and appropriately represented to diverse constituencies; applying communication and marketing solutions for complex and controversial problems; and conducting analyses and assessments affecting program communication and relationships at all governmental levels.
CLICK HERE FOR MAJOR DUTIES DESCRIPTION: https://uploads.mwp.mprod.getusinfo.com/uploads/sites/72/2024/01/MAJOR-DUTIES-PUBLIC-HEALTH-ADMINISTRATIVE-SPECIALIST.pdf
Qualifications and Evaluations
- EXPERIENCE: A minimum of 5 years progressive experience with a focus in Health Communication is required.JOB KNOWLEDGE: Extensive knowledge of the mission, goals, objectives and the organization of CDC and how they relate to the policies, practices, procedures and regulations, which affect the way the organization operates at the local, national and international level.
Knowledge of communication principles, methods, practices and techniques; analytical methods; and interpersonal relations practices. Knowledge and skill to analyze public reaction to CDC Tanzania programs and policies in developing recommendations that significantly modify CDC Tanzania major program and policies; and integrating diverse points of view in a communication plan in establishing and maintaining mutual understanding with various CDC Tanzania audiences.
Expert knowledge of health communication and marketing goals and objectives, primary and secondary data sources, environmental scanning, need assessments, and health/risk communication to identify information gaps/needs and opportunities; define and analyze target audiences; manage staff and partners to formulate communication and marketing strategies; oversee health communication and marketing programs, and outreach and partnership efforts; and lead professionals in translating complex and controversial epidemiologic and medical information.
Comprehensive understanding of USG global health programs: Global health security, malaria, HIV, TB, etc.
Comprehensive knowledge of host government and international public health systems is required, including a detailed knowledge of the structure and operations of the national and local media, the environment for health care delivery in Tanzania, structure and function of endemic and international NGOs providing public health services in Tanzania, and other collaborating and donor agencies in Tanzania with CDC supported programs.
Comprehensive knowledge and application of strategic planning and evaluation processes.
- Education Requirements:
- Masters degree in Public Health, Communication, or Public Relations is required.
- LANGUAGE: Mandatory: Level IV (fluency – speaking/reading/writing, including medical terminology) of English language is required. Level IV (fluency – speaking/reading/writing, including medical terminology) of Kiswahili language is required. This may be tested.SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Skills sufficient for presenting ideas in written materials in new ways that will increase understanding among Tanzanian and American audiences with varying levels of comprehension of CDC Tanzania programs and policies, or opposition or indifference to CDC Tanzania’s program objectives.
Skills sufficient for making on-the-spot presentations about CDC’s programs for various audiences, including scientific and non-scientific audiences.
Skills sufficient to post messages and manage social media accounts for CDC Tanzania
Expert level proficiency is required in oral and written communications skills.
The incumbent must also have strong writing, editing and proofreading skills, including the ability to evaluate and edit content, structure and format of a wide range of written materials.
Incumbent is also required to have advanced computer skills and the ability to use office software packages, including word processing, desktop publishing and spreadsheets.
The position requires well-developed oral communication skills for effective communication of information regarding methodologies and procedures for implementing best practices in program activities.
The position requires well-developed skills for writing and editing of complex materials. Examples of complex written documents include the development of the national health promotion strategy and policy for the National Department of Health, detailed statement of work and reporting requirements for cooperative agreement program announcements; written protocols for program implementation; instructions for compiling program data and incorporating the data into reports in a standardized format; development of the annual country operational plan; and technical reports for the DOH, CDC senior management, the PEPFAR core team, and the Mission Executive Officers on program progress and outputs.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Diversity Equality and Inclusion Statement:
The US Mission to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania values a workforce of different backgrounds, cultures, and viewpoints. We strive to create a welcoming environment for all and we invite applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Agency Benefits:
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in (insert post and/or country name) may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Other Information:
- HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
1. AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
2. AEFM / USEFM
3. FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
- How to Apply:
- To apply for this position, applicants MUST apply electronically via ERA.For more information, visit this link https://tz.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/
- Required Documents:
- To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.All Applicants:
• Proof of Citizenship
• Masters Degree Certificate
• Masters Degree Transcript
• Work Permit
• Other Document (if any)
• Other Document (if any)
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
• Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
• Passport copy
• DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
• SF-50 (if applicable)
- Next Steps:
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Dar Es Salaam – Tanzania.