National Institute for Medical Research
The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is a Parastatal Organization established by an Act of Parliament No. 23 of 1979 (CAP.59, R.E.2002) and became operational in 1980. NIMR-Mwanza Research Centre (MMRC) is one of the NIMR Centers located in Mwanza The Centre is currently conducting research on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, non-communicable diseases (NCDs) as well as other diseases of public health importance. The National Institute for Medical Research is looking for the qualified, experienced and well-motivated personnel to fill various vacant positions to work with LINEA and PARENT APP Projects. Duty station will be at NIMR Mwanza Centre.
- LINEA PROJECT: This is the cluster randomized controlled trial assessing the impact of a complex social norm intervention involving a tailor-made radio-drama program and curricula based information targeting adolescent girls aged 13 to 15 years and older men to prevent Age-Disparate Transactional Sex. This project is collaboration between NIMR, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and Amani Girls Home. NIMR will lead the study evaluation activities which involve both quantitative and qualitative data collection methods. The quantitative components will include questionnaire-based surveys among cohort participants and community members; while the qualitative part will involve in-depth interviews and focus group discussions with targeted cohort participants.
- PARENT APP PROJECT: NIMR is collaborating with the University of Oxford, UK and University of Cape Town, South Africa to conduct a two-arm cluster randomised controlled trial to test the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of ParentApp (an evidence-based parenting app for parents and caregivers of adolescents aged 1018 years) on improving parenting, reducing violence and assessing processes and outcomes which address parenting skills that promote holistic adolescent development, specifically related to executive function and social integration using a learning through play approach. The study is being conducted in two regions – Mwanza and Shinyanga in Tanzania.
Job Position: Research Assistants (29 Posts)
REPORTING: The post holder will report to the Project Manager
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To collect Data in the field;
- To conduct qualitative and quantitative data collection;
- To transcribe and translate data and study materials;
- To participate in the analysis of qualitative data –such as coding of data; V. To write field reports; and
- To perform any other related duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
QUALIFICATION AND COMPETENCE:
- Holder of Bachelor Degree in social sciences or public health;
- Experience conducting field research and preferably qualitative research; III. Report-writing skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in Kiswahili and English; V. Commitment in working as part of a multidisciplinary research team;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Experience working in rural and urban communities in populations with low illiteracy; and
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
TERMS OF SERVICE: 6 months contract which may be renewed on the basis of performance and mutual agreement.
The successful candidate will be based at NIMR Mwanza Centre and regularly visits study sites in Mwanza, Shinyanga and Geita Regions.
A competitive salary will be offered to the successful candidate as per project budget.
Research Assistants Job Vacancies at NIMR – 29 PostsRead: How to Make Money while Unemployed – 7 Ways
MODE OF APPLICATION:
Read Also: The CV / Resume Checklist
- The application letter should be written in English.
- Applicants should indicate three reputable referees with a reliable contact.
- Applicants must attach relevant certified copies of academic certificates, including forms four and six.
- Application letters should be attached with a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
All applications should be addressed to:
National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) Mwanza Centre,
Mwanza. Or through email: firstname.lastname@example.org