Ubongo is Africa's leading producer of kids' edutainment.
Swahili/English Translator Consultant Job Vacancy at Ubongo
UBONGO is Africa’s leading producer of kids’ edutainment. As a non-profit social enterprise, we create fun, localized, and multi-platform educational content that helps kids learn and leverage their learning to change their lives. Ubongo reaches millions of families across Africa through accessible technologies like TV, radio, and mobile phones. Our shows Ubongo Kids and Akili and Me currently air in 31 countries across Africa, in Swahili, English, French, and Kinyarwanda. We are currently adapting the shows to even more languages including Kikuyu, Luo, Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, and Twi. This is a great time to join an organization that’s rapidly growing across the continent and work with a creative and impact-driven team committed to reaching as many families in Africa as possible with life-changing education.
We are looking for a Swahili/English Translator Consultant. Working at Ubongo won’t be easy, but it will challenge and excite you with lots of responsibilities, plenty of fun, and give you the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of kids every day.
We’re looking for a creative and skilled Translator to brainstorm and write fun, educational stories and songs with us for Ubongo Learning projects, including but not limited to series and client projects.
1. Create educational and engaging content.
- Translation of any written content from English to Kiswahili and vice versa when needed.
- Brainstorm and outline story ideas for Ubongo Kids, Akili and Me, client projects and any future Ubongo Learning shows, working both individually and with the pre-production team.
- Translate song lyrics, treatments, reports, blogs and other materials as needed.
- Transcribe content as needed.
- Improve Ubongo’s writing and storytelling through continuous reviews, learning and experimentation — always writing from a child-centric perspective and utilizing user testing to inform and inspire stories and learning.
- Help improve team efficiency by cooperating with existing workflows, including but not limited to user testing and production review, and making suggestions for improvements.
- Maintaining and growing Ubongo Learning’s brand, Ubongo Kids and Akili and Me through your translation and transcribing abilities.
- Review content (during production meetings or as point person) at all stages of productions (script, storyboard, animatic, animation).
- Prototype of content as needed.
- TO BE A MATCH, YOU’LL NEED TO BE:
- Self-motivated and possess a high level of responsibility to complete tasks in a timely manner and make significant progress without direct supervision.
- Proof of creative writing skills including but not limited to scripts, books, portfolio of essays, songs, grant applications etc.
- Ownership of projects including debriefing with team members.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to learn new software and research techniques as needed.
- Flexibility in adjusting to new work related requirements as they arise.
- Strong computer skills especially with Microsoft Office, internet, and electronic media.
- Bachelor Degree preferred.
- Kiswahili Educational Background preferred (BAKITA Certificate).
- Teacher Profession preferred (Primary School Teacher).
Phew! You made it through that. The good thing is that there are also perks, like delicious healthy lunch at the office, health insurance, and you get to watch cartoons at work. APPLY USING THIS ONLINE FORM.
Please note that only applicants who apply using this online form will be considered. Those who come directly to the office with a CV or who email their CV to us will be referred back to this online form.
So please save yourself time and effort by simply sticking to this form. THANKS!
To apply for this job please visit ubongo.bamboohr.com.