Website US Embassy Dar es Salaam
The mission of the United States Embassy is to advance the interests of the United States, and to serve and protect U.S. citizens in Tanzania.
- Announcement Number:
- Hiring Agency:
- Embassy Dar Es Salaam
- Position Title:
- Visa Unit Supervisor (Internal Candidates Only)
- Open Period:
- 05/23/2023 – 06/06/2023Format MM/DD/YYYY
- Vacancy Time Zone:
- LE – 1405 8
- TZS TSh38,384,127 /Per Year
- Work Schedule:
- Full-time – 40 HOURS PER WEEK
- Promotion Potential:
- Duty Location(s):
- Telework Eligible:
- For More Info:
- Hiring Path:
- • Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- Current Employees of the Mission, U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members USEFMs), Eligible Family Members (EFMs), and Members of Household (MOH) – All Agencies
- Security Clearance Required:
- Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type
- Appointment Type Details:
- Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement:
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- The U.S. Mission in Dar es Salaam is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Visa Unit Supervisor in the Consular Section.
- Supervisory Position:
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
- Travel Required:
- Occasional TravelOccasional Travel
The jobholder serves as the Locally Employed (LE) Staff supervisor of the immigrant and nonimmigrant visa units. The incumbent supervises three positions: the IV Assistant/Fraud Prevention Analyst;who works most closely with fraud and immigrant visas; the Visa Assistant who works most closely with nonimmigrant visas and serves as administrative assistant; and the Visa Clerk who acts as cashier and assists with nonimmigrant visa intake and processing. The incumbent determines the section’s goals in conjunction with senior consular management, reports to and advises the Consular Chief on all aspects of visa operations, personnel management, and strategic planning. The incumbent monitors performance of the Global Support Strategy (GSS) contractor.
Nonimmigrant (NIV) visa intake and scheduling coordinator (25%)
With full supervisory authority over the NIV LE Staff, provides authoritative advice to subordinates and officers on the majority of visa cases. Keeps current on, and applies changes in, law and SOPs to maintain daily workflow and suggests improvements. Is responsible for NIV appointment scheduling.
Immigrant Visa (IV) intake and scheduling coordinator (20%)
With full supervisory authority over the IV LE Staff, provides authoritative advice to subordinates and officers on the majority of IV cases. Ensures timely answers to stakeholders such as the National Visa Center (NVC), the visa office in Washington, and IV petitioners. Oversees IV intake and case loading. Keeps current on, and applies changes in, law and SOPs to maintain daily workflow and suggests improvements. Works with the International Office for Migration (IOM) to schedule follow to join refugee cases. Oversees local scheduling of adoption and fiancé visa cases.
Supervisory duties (15%)
Develops training plans and acts as rater for three LE staff. Holds regular meetings with LE staff and provides guidance and feedback on their performance as appropriate. Ensures staff has appropriate training and development opportunities.
Visa Production coordinator (15%)
Handles controlled access items such as visa foils and maintains confidentiality of visa records and personally identifiable information (PII). Troubleshoots equipment, employs on boutique computer systems, and solves processing problems. Assigns duties to subordinates to ensure visas are processed, stored, and returned in a timely way. Helps ensure quality control by reviewing data entry and printed visas.
General Visa Assistant (15%)
Researches relevant case law and guidance, and requests opinions from the Office of Legal Affairs to resolve the most complex visa cases. Uses expertise to respond to complex inquiries from applicants and other external stakeholders. Is the primary source of guidance for LE Staff.
GSS Liaison (10%)
Serves as point-of-contact/liaison for the two GSS/CSC contractors, located in Nairobi and Addis Ababa respectively. Monitors contractor’s performance specifically with regard to fee payment collection, call center efficacy, and appointment scheduling issues.
Note: “This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by incumbent. Incumbent will be required to perform other duties as assigned by the agency.”
Visa Unit Supervisor Job Vacancy at the US Embassy Dar es Salaam
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Experience: Two years Consular and/or office management experience is required, at least one of which involved supervising subordinates is required.
- Education Requirements:
- Completion of at least two years of college/university training is required.
- LANGUAGE: Level 4 English and Kiswahili Languages – Fluent; speaking/reading/writing. (This may be tested).EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Diversity Equality and Inclusion Statement
The US Mission to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania values a workforce of different backgrounds, cultures, and viewpoints. We strive to create a welcoming environment for all and we invite applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Agency Benefits:
- The U.S. Mission in Tanzania offers compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- Other Information:
How to Apply
- How to Apply:
- To apply for this position, applicants MUST apply electronically via ERA.For more information, visit this link https://tz.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/
- Required Documents:
- To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.All Applicants:
• Residency and/or Work Permit
• University Degree Certificate
• University Degree Transcript
• Proof of citizenship/National Identification (National ID or Passport)
- Next Steps:
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted only via email.Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Tanzania.
To apply for this job please visit erajobs.state.gov.